Morey: Ariza was worth the money on defense alone

Dash

• On Trevor Ariza: ''We see Trevor as a starter on a championship team. He's worth the money we're going to pay him just for his defensive contributions.''

Link

He does play good defense though he does gamble sometimes but Morey/Adelman must really see something to make a statement like this.

• Owner

For the most part, it's true. I just found this funny:

We see Trevor as a starter on a championship team.

Uh, yeah...that's probably because he was a starter on a championship team. :confused:

But his contributions on the defensive end are going to benefit Houston. The problem I see is that the Rockets are going to have to rely on him for their scoring, along with Scola and Brooks, and I honestly don't see Ariza averaging 15 or so points per game without shooting at a low percentage from the floor.

Maybe with Yao healthy, and McGrady playing at full health, Ariza would become a spot-up shooter that kills teams late in the game. The thing is, that's not going to happen this upcoming season...and who knows what will happen to Tracy after June (or maybe even the trade deadline).

The only problem Houston will have on the defensive end, in regards to Trevor, will be his inability to defend the bigger, stronger forwards. Carmelo Anthony ate his lunch. Shard and Turkoglu manhandled him.

But sticking him on a guard? That might be the key.

^Interesting points. I think the plan is to start Ariza on the 2 and Battier will move back up to the 3.

Adelman did say Ariza will be 'featured' in the Rockets offense, I'm not sure if that exactly means if he will be our #1 option or not though. I know Ariza had a lot of things opened up for him by Kobe/Gasol but Princeton Offense creates so many opportunities as well. Honestly, I can see Trevor being more than a spot up shooter and getting easy baskets within the offense.