[FoxSports] NBA's top 10 stat stuffers

Revis Island

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9966898#sport=NBA&photo=9968302

Their numbers just don't add up

In basketball, not everything is quantifiable. That's why it can be misleading to judge a player's value solely by his statistics. Stats don't measure small but significant things like setting a solid screen or playing good positional defense. They don't measure intangible qualities like competitiveness or a positive attitude. FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky lists 10 current players who put up big numbers but aren't as valuable as their stats suggest. Some are All-Stars. Some aren't. But for all these guys, the whole really is less than the sum of its parts.

Vince Carter, SF, Orlando Magic

2008-09 stats: 20.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.7 apg

Though it's been a while since he jumped over a 7-foot Frenchman, the 32-year-old Carter remains among the most extraordinary scorers and athletes in the game. He's averaged at least 20 points for 11 straight seasons, but there's a reason he's never sniffed a championship. When it comes to toughness and competitive intensity, no one's ever confused Carter with his fellow UNC alum, Michael Jordan. The NBA runners-up Magic traded for Carter, presumedly to put them over the hump. But if he keeps launching fadeaway jumpers in crunch time and failing to facilitate as well as the departed Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando may end up taking a big step back.

These are one of the few times, I will agree with FoxSports' list. Usually, I tend to disagree with everything they say. I have to agree a lot on this Top 10 list.... Everybody they listed on that Top 10 are literally stat stuffers, plain and simple. Probably should've add Tracy, but since he's been sucking so bad why bother.

Vince Carter?? :lol:

He pretty much is......I know you are a fan of him, looking at your sig and all, but his stats show he is a lot better than what he is...If you factor in his heart, motivation and desire he's not that special of a player, Still a talented player but just didn't use it to good usage.

He pretty much is......I know you are a fan of him, looking at your sig and all, but his stats show he is a lot better than what he is...If you factor in his heart, motivation and desire he's not that special of a player, Still a talented player but just didn't use it to good usage.

Nahh, for the last two seasons he's actually played hard despite having a pretty bad team.

Nahh, for the last two seasons he's actually played hard despite having a pretty bad team.

I do feel during those Net days recent years, he was underrated. Now he's overrated again just because he's on a contender, people magically think he'll be motivated and have a heart again, when I really doubt it.

so i guess a guy that avgs almost a triple-double doesn't count as a stat stuffer <_< Lebron cough cough

FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky lists 10 current players who put up big numbers but aren't as valuable as their stats suggest. Some are All-Stars. Some aren't. But for all these guys, the whole really is less than the sum of its parts.

Are you trying to say that LeBron isn't as good as his number suggest?

He's been averaging 20 or more points for 11 straight seasons. It's not like he's deceiving people; he is actually that talented. I know your NBA knowledge stretches back to about 2007 when McGrady played point forward for the Rockets, so I wont say too much, but I don't think you really realise how talented Carter was. During the early 2000's, I don't think anyone denied that Carter was a top 6 or 7 most talented player in the league (re: talented, not valuable). Obviously, being 32, the wear and tear of an 82 game season does something to your body so he was going to have to slow down sometime. Nevertheless, I welcome Carter and his 'stat stuffing' ways to Orlando without hesitation.

I have no idea why Boozer is on the list, btw. He's a wonderful player.

He's been averaging 20 or more points for 11 straight seasons. It's not like he's deceiving people; he is actually that talented. I know your NBA knowledge stretches back to about 2007 when McGrady played point forward for the Rockets, so I wont say too much, but I don't think you really realise how talented Carter was. During the early 2000's, I don't think anyone denied that Carter was a top 6 or 7 most talented player in the league (re: talented, not valuable). Obviously, being 32, the wear and tear of an 82 game season does something to your body so he was going to have to slow down sometime. Nevertheless, I welcome Carter and his 'stat stuffing' ways to Orlando without hesitation.

I have no idea why Boozer is on the list, btw. He's a wonderful player.

No, I do, but I'm guessing you are just thinking positive of Carter since he's a Tragic now.