Allen Iverson, Grizzlies get closer

La Bomba

Allen Iverson is getting closer to playing in a Grizzlies uniform.

The free-agent guard and Griz owner Michael Heisley were trying Saturday to arrange a face-to-face meeting -- a development that indicates Iverson is on the verge of accepting the Grizzlies' one-year offer, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Heisley and Iverson have yet to meet because the Griz were only dealing with Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, until now.

But Iverson appears to have run out of options.

He has spent the offseason holding out hope for offers to play in better situations than the Grizzlies' present. Memphis offered Iverson, 34, a reserve role paying at least $3.5 million or what it has remaining under the salary cap.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/06/iverson-grizzlies-get-close/

I hate this front office.

Wow AI :blink:

Settling for a bench role in Memphis? Had he said earlier, out loud, he's willing to come off the bench for $3.5 mil a year, I bet contenders would at least consider signing him. Shoot, if I was the Nuggets GM, I'd call him to consider him rejoining us. A willing AI would be a great asset off the bench for any team.

But that's IF he's willing to do what he said, be a bench player and fully committed to his role.

Iverson and Zach Randolph on the same team is going to be hilarious. It's really funny how they got rid of Pau Gasol a legit all-star and then traded for Randolph who they are paying even more for. The Grizzlies should just shoot themselves.

I hope it works out though for AI.

Wow AI :blink:

Settling for a bench role in Memphis? Had he said earlier, out loud, he's willing to come off the bench for $3.5 mil a year, I bet contenders would at least consider signing him. Shoot, if I was the Nuggets GM, I'd call him to consider him rejoining us. A willing AI would be a great asset off the bench for any team.

But that's IF he's willing to do what he said, be a bench player and fully committed to his role.

I doubt AI goes to the bench. Mayo will probably move to point now.

So how many balls do the Grizzlies plan to play with? This signing killed our playoff chances, if we had any to begin with.

If anything this signed increased your playoff chances. What does Memphis have to lose exactly?

They would make fine teachers for the theory of "blackhole" and "consequences of violence: clubs, guns and perhaps drugs". :lol:

And tell me how is that? .. Because they are 'thugs' by your standards?

Can you quit the racism you clown, it's really starting to get out of control on this forum. I see it in nearly every second thread, it started of being nothing when people called actual players who were in trouble in the past for drugs/guns etc. However now it's like every player that is black gets called a thug by most members of this board .. it's ridiculous and racist by my standards because i wouldn't want to be called a thug because of my appearance ..

Ignorance to put it simple.

Also i hope Iverson takes starting role over Conley, the guy had his 'worst' season last season and still averaged 18 ppg in 26 mpg. That in my opinion is amazing from a then 33 year old who was coming off the bench and doing it also from the backcourt being 6 feet tall.

Give the man credit at least, he is one of the best to every play the game and is still a top 5 scoring point guard.

Grizzlies need to use him because he will bring them wins, not a beefed up Gay.

Can you quit the racism you clown, it's really starting to get out of control on this forum. I see it in nearly every second thread, it started of being nothing when people called actual players who were in trouble in the past for drugs/guns etc. However now it's like every player that is black gets called a thug by most members of this board .. it's ridiculous and racist by my standards because i wouldn't want to be called a thug because of my appearance ..

Ignorance to put it simple.

Also i hope Iverson takes starting role over Conley, the guy had his 'worst' season last season and still averaged 18 ppg in 26 mpg. That in my opinion is amazing from a then 33 year old who was coming off the bench and doing it also from the backcourt being 6 feet tall.

Give the man credit at least, he is one of the best to every play the game and is still a top 5 scoring point guard.

Grizzlies need to use him because he will bring them wins, not a beefed up Gay.

It isn't racism, it's truth. If you go to clubs and cause trouble, get arrested for "making it rain," have gotten arrested for DUI, get caught with guns all the time, then you are a thug. It isn't a black or white thing. If it was a white guy doing the same things Iverson and Randolph do, I would think he is a dumb [expletive] thug, too.

And saying this isn't going to increase the Grizzlies wins because the Grizzlies already have enough problems with poor ego's and primadonnas as it is. Iverson is just going to add to the mess.

If anything this signed increased your playoff chances. What does Memphis have to lose exactly?

Basically all the chemistry Gay, Mayo, and Conley were developing. This is going to slow down the development of at least one of those players.

Memphis insisted he come off the bench right?

Let's see how this plays out. I doubt it's 10 games before he cries about coming off the bench.

Wow... :lol:

Edited by Snake