Kobe vs Jordan

This is just crazy. Basketball at its finest. Whats crazy is Kobe actually put up a pretty good fight in some of these games, at 19 going up against Jordan. And eventually dropped 55 on him. I never seen these videos until the other day thought they were quite interesting, especially how everyone and the commentators kept saying Kobe was the future and taking MJ's throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-kKQMue4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_rG3DtBnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSaKPHSEtRM

This will spark a great discussion. :)

• Owner

Jordan is better than Kobe at everything even speaking Italian.

Jordan is the better overall player, and we all know that...but he's not better than Kobe at everything.

Bryant has more range on his shot, and he also has a broader offensive skillset than Michael, including more post moves and ways to split doubles and lose his man on the perimeter.

Jordan drives better and has better overall defense, including steals, blocks and defensive rebounding.

If you take away the rings and MVP's, they are pretty damn close as a comparison, but it's Jordan's defense that separates him from Kobe...and while I can argue that Kobe is the slightly better offensive player, I can't argue that he's better defensively, and that's where I draw my conclusion.

Jordan is the better overall player, and we all know that...but he's not better than Kobe at everything.

Bryant has more range on his shot, and he also has a broader offensive skillset than Michael, including more post moves and ways to split doubles and lose his man on the perimeter.

Jordan drives better and has better overall defense, including steals, blocks and defensive rebounding.

If you take away the rings and MVP's, they are pretty damn close as a comparison, but it's Jordan's defense that separates him from Kobe...and while I can argue that Kobe is the slightly better offensive player, I can't argue that he's better defensively, and that's where I draw my conclusion.

Sorry dude, but if Kobe is better than Jordan at anything it's just shooting. I've seen Jordan play in his last 3-peat years and he was on another planet than Kobe.

• Owner

Sorry dude, but if Kobe is better than Jordan at anything it's just shooting. I've seen Jordan play in his last 3-peat years and he was on another planet than Kobe.

Well, to be fair, I saw Jordan play since 1990, when he was in his prime, and I think you're underrating Kobe Bryant again.

Jordan is still better, and I don't think that's up for debate by even the biggest Lakers homer, but the gap isn't that far, either.

If you saw the last three-peat for Jordan, you'd know that in 1997 and 1998, Jordan had a bit of trouble with Kobe when Bryant was guarding him, and had a little more trouble containing him in his last season with Chicago (which was still an MVP season for him).

That's a Jordan that was the MVP of the league, having trouble with a rookie and second year Kobe Bryant, who wasn't even getting the significant playing time under Del Harris.

There isn't one single player in the NBA that can contain Kobe individually. Not one. Same with Jordan. The difference is, teams couldn't play Jordan the same way they do Bryant, or they would get called for illegal defense in the 90's. Kobe has seen more double teams than any other player I've ever watched, maybe Shaq nips at his heels, and I can probably say that Wilt saw as much...but that's it.

Yet, even in the worst of times, Kobe was able to average 35 PPG, able to drop 81, able to score 56-62 points in 36 minutes or less two or three different times (which, really, is on pace to dropping another couple of 80's).

On the other hand, even though I think Kobe can lock down any guard or small forward in the league (as he did with LeBron this last season), I also think it slows down his offensive production, something you didn't see with Michael, and that's what separates the two. Not the defensive ability, really, but just the offense/defense combination that was more consistent with Michael (if that makes sense), although that might have a LOT to do with having the greatest defensive small forward in the history of the game on your team.

• Owner

Look at how Kobe played Jordan at age 19, imagine Kobe playing MJ in his prime. I feel Kobe would win that matchup.

If you take the early 90's Jordan and put him up against the 2005 Kobe Bryant, you'll get a pretty damn good matchup. I'm not sure Kobe beats him, though.

I would go over a debate with RD again, but I think we've established everything the last time we discussed Kobe and Jordan. Kobe has the better range, but overall, Jordan takes the cake. To make a long story short, Jordan was just flat out more dominant on both ends of the court, and I think we can all agree on that.

One thing need to remind that they live in different era of Nba, How to contrast them by what? if by rings, then Kobe will be shamed; by honor, still Kobe need to continue to take effort, others? I don't know, but I know Kobe is the best player I can watch him with amazing performance.http://www.snagpic.com/users/img/4676/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

Wow.

Its been a long time since i got to sit down and watch Jordan play. Brings back a lot of old memories of the 90s and... Nirvana and.... Dr.Dre.. and MTV spring break with Polly Shore.

Anyway, i think what these videos did most for me was make me realize how similar these two players really are, how Kobe learned so much from MJ personally and begs the question; Will Kobe be labeled as a greater player then Jordan if he can match or surpass MJs titles?

I think it is a tougher question then some consider it to be. Of course you have Uber-Kobe fans who will say yes without any extensive thought to the subject, and you will have oldies like me who watched MJs entire career and will say "absolutely not" simply because of stubbornness. But im thinking about this and im looking at the NBA as a whole. The NBA in the main days of Jordan was down, lets say 90-00, 10 years. If you really look at this era the NBA seemed to be in a transition period between the slow lumbering big men of the 80s, and the quick fast paced smaller guard action of the late 90s and 2000s. Then i take a look at talent. Talent back then was not even close to what it is now. Fact is when MJ was winning his titles he did not face players like Kobe on a nightly basis while Kobe is matched up with players like Pierce, Manu, Iverson, AI2, Wade, Lebron, Roy, TMac, Carter, ect. And im not talking about just facing on another team, but actually matched up against. MJ never had to guard Magic, and Magic never had to guard MJ, same holds true with most of the stars back then that were not in the 2 position (the 2 position was pretty lacking then).

I dunno.... This ending up as a tougher question then i ever considered it to be.