Chargers To Part Ways With Shawne Merriman

Cobb

Source: rotoworld

According to beat writer Kevin Acee, this will be Shawne Merriman's last season with the Chargers.

Acee said this week's issue with Tila Tequila has no bearing on his status with the team. Merriman's contract is up at the end of the season and the Chargers weren't going to bring him back anyway. But Acee then speculates that Merriman could end up parting ways with the Chargers before this season is over, in part because general manager A.J. Smith is sick of dealing with Merriman's off-field issues.

I guess they really did draft Larry English for a reason.

his "character" is no excuse either since we just signed Vick

i absolutely hate when people say this. andy reid didnt just one day ditch everything he believed because he signed vick. how many problems has vick caused because of his attitude? zero. reid does care about off the field issues and that is a big reason of why they will not sign him

the other big reason is that he is a 3-4 linebacker. he is great at getting to the QB, and he would not be able to do that in the eagles 4-3. he wouldnt be a good fit for the eagles

i absolutely hate when people say this. andy reid didnt just one day ditch everything he believed because he signed vick. how many problems has vick caused because of his attitude? zero. reid does care about off the field issues and that is a big reason of why they will not sign him

the other big reason is that he is a 3-4 linebacker. he is great at getting to the QB, and he would not be able to do that in the eagles 4-3. he wouldnt be a good fit for the eagles

sorry -_-

good point about the 3-4 defense though. you don't think he would be able to adjust to the 4-3? i think he's talented enough to succeed in any type of defense, who knows though.

but merriman is my favorite non-eagle player. damn i'd seriously go ape [expletive] if we somehow ended up getting him.

well one problem vick had was when he flipped off the crowd

This news doesn't surprise me. Honestley Merriman isn't that great of a linebacker. Don't get me wrong he's an awesome talent, however, he is 1-dimensional. He lacks the ability to make plays in the pass coverage, other than just rushing the passer. He is the closest thing to a D-End at Outside Linebacker. That being said I still would say he's a top 15 linebacker because his pass rush is incredible and can greatly impact a game.

I don't want the cowboys to sign him because of his character issues and his injuries. In the end though I think they will. We have Wade Phillips the old Chargers D-Coordinator and if Spencer doesn't work out this year we are going to need an OLB. Could you imagine Ware and Merriman? That'd be one of the most dominant pair of OLB's in the NFL ever. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Fish7718

sorry -_-

good point about the 3-4 defense though. you don't think he would be able to adjust to the 4-3? i think he's talented enough to succeed in any type of defense, who knows though.

but merriman is my favorite non-eagle player. damn i'd seriously go ape [expletive] if we somehow ended up getting him.

its all good :)

he probably could manage in a 3-4, but he is known for his ability to get after the qb, and he would not be doing that very much, if at all in the eagles 4-3. i havent seen merriman play enough to judge how he is in coverage, but i havent heard many good things. he would probably be a good player in a 4-3, but not the dominate force that he is in the chargers 3-4

This news doesn't surprise me. Honestley Merriman isn't that great of a linebacker. Don't get me wrong he's an awesome talent, however, he is 1-dimensional. He lacks the ability to make plays in the pass coverage, other than just rushing the passer. He is the closest thing to a D-End at Outside Linebacker. That being said I still would say he's a top 15 linebacker because his pass rush is incredible and can greatly impact a game.

I don't want the cowboys to sign him because of his character issues and his injuries. In the end though I think they will. We have Wade Phillips the old Chargers D-Coordinator and if Spencer doesn't work out this year we are going to need an OLB. Could you imagine Ware and Merriman? That'd be one of the most dominant pair of OLB's in the NFL ever. We'll see what happens.

Are you sure you aren't talking about DeMarcus Ware?

Everything you said about Shawn Merriman describes DeMarcus Ware, and you can deny it all you want, but it's true.

I would be [expletive]ing pissed if he left us. Who cares if he has some off the field issues as long as he performs on the feild it is all good. Everyone saw how [expletive]ty our defense was without him. No way English can be the player Merriman is in one [expletive]ing year.

I can't imagine he'd be too effective in the Broncos game if he's in jail for domestic assault, or something like that. But that's just me.

I can't imagine he'd be too effective in the Broncos game if he's in jail for domestic assault, or something like that. But that's just me.

IDK that light's out dance is pretty effective. I'm sure if they took a recording of it and made the other team watch they may get intimidated. However they also may start laughing at how dumb it is.