Minus the rings and MVP's

Real Deal

No rings, no MVPs...  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

You said Kobe or any other 2 Guard, from what I read.

But to answer your question, the answer is still the same, whoever has the higher field goal percentage that night should get the shot.

Then the same should apply to Shaq if he was out 16-feet from the rim. Stay consistent with what you said earlier, that Shaq was a better shooter than Kobe. That was it. You didn't consider the shots they took, just as you didn't consider Magic's drives to the rim, and his short shots, so don't do something different for Shaq.

You're wrong, just as you have been in this topic the entire time, and it's embarrassing that I wasted my time in here when I could've been sleeping or debating on my Lakers site.

I'm logging out. You can have your last word, because this has become completely worthless to me.

I'll lock my own topic once you post whatever. Hurry up.

You said Kobe or any other 2 Guard, from what I read.

But to answer your question, the answer is still the same, whoever has the higher field goal percentage that night should get the shot.

what if.

greg oden scores like baskets. all 2pt's an makes em all in a row an thats it.

he has a 100% field goal percentage lol. does that mean greg oden would be a better shooter then kobe

• Owner

what if.

greg oden scores like baskets. all 2pt's an makes em all in a row an thats it.

he has a 100% field goal percentage lol. does that mean greg oden would be a better shooter then kobe

Uh, yeah, because if I spit five times on the sidewalk, and you spit four times, that means I would have spit more times than you, and I'm going to be the one to spit the furthest.

Uh, yeah, because if I spit five times on the sidewalk, and you spit four times, that means I would have spit more times than you, and I'm going to be the one to spit the furthest.

if greg oden is a better shooter then kobe then im extremely looking forward to this mavs season.

Then the same should apply to Shaq if he was out 16-feet from the rim. Stay consistent with what you said earlier, that Shaq was a better shooter than Kobe. That was it. You didn't consider the shots they took, just as you didn't consider Magic's drives to the rim, and his short shots, so don't do something different for Shaq.

You're wrong, just as you have been in this topic the entire time, and it's embarrassing that I wasted my time in here when I could've been sleeping or debating on my Lakers site.

I'm logging out. You can have your last word, because this has become completely worthless to me.

I'll lock my own topic once you post whatever. Hurry up.

No Dont lock it, please leave this topic Open.

But again and you agreed that you cant compare a C to an SG, I dont see why you are trying to bring up the same argument? Again I said different positions on the court are asked to do different things, so if its an SG, whos primary role is to shoot, then you let him shoot thats it. Again I said shaq makes more 2PT field goals and I stand by that statement.

Cant believe this got into this dumb of a discussion, Shaq is a better shooter then Kobe? Lol.

81, 62 in 3 quarters, 50 in 4 straight, 40 in 9 straight, MOST GAME WINNERS IN NBA HISTORY, 35+ ppg in a season, these are all things that Magic hasnt done. Therefore Kobe wins.

Kobe plays in a tougher era btw. Zone defense was not allowed in the NBA during Magic Johnsons time.

Edited by kingfish

• Owner

Anyone actually see Magic perform in the post-season? Because people like bringing up Kobe's mistakes...

Yeah, great players have made mistakes. Michael was dominated by the Orlando Magic in 1995, first getting ripped by Nick Anderson to lose a playoff game, then throwing a terrible pass to Scottie (that sailed out of bounds) to lose the deciding game of that series, what Phil calls Jordan's worst moment ever.

But Mr. Perfect, Magic Johnson, who was throwing nearly 4+ turnovers almost every season he played...he would NEVER make a mistake like those two.

Not Magic, who shot 31% in Game 2 versus the Bulls in the 1991 Finals, then shot 33% in the deciding Game 5, as Scottie Pippen lit him up for 32 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists on 46% from the field.

Are we talking about the same Magic who shot 39% and threw just seven assists per game in the first-round loss against Houston in 1981? According to you, he was already the clear-cut leader. Where was he then?

What about the Magic that averaged just 11.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 8.0 assists against the Pistons in the 1989 NBA FInals? Far from his typical, amazing playoff numbers the previous season against Detroit in the Finals (21/6/13).

How would you grade Magic's shooting in the 1983 NBA Finals, when Cheeks and Erving were all over him, forcing him to shoot 40% from the floor with an average of six turnovers per game, in an ugly sweep?

Let's not overrate what Magic has done. He's lucky to have the teammates he did for his entire career.

• Owner

2005 team: Magic (at 20-something), Odom, Kwame, Walton, Smush

Who's going to be the leading scorer for this team, and how many wins are they going to get?

You build around the more complete player. Is Magic more complete than Kobe?

Magic's weaknesses: defense, three-point shooting, turnovers (averaged nearly four every single season)

Kobe's weaknesses: leadership (early in his career)

Hmm...

Who's going to be the leading scorer for this team, and how many wins are they going to get?

Magic's weaknesses: defense, three-point shooting, turnovers (averaged nearly four every single season)

Hmm...

Hmm...

I guess Kobe > Wilt Chamberlain and Shaq as well since they have more weaknesses than him.

How about this. Do you think if Kobe was on those 80s Lakers teams they would've been better had he replaced Magic Johnson. I beg to differ. Magic created Showtime. Would Kobe make that offense more dynamic than Magic did? No [expletive]ing way.

And I wouldn't necesarily say defense was a weakness for Magic.

So a team of Kareem, Kobe, Worthy, Cooper, Scott and Green wouldn't have won championships? Is that what you want to tell me? Just curious.

Kobe doesn't fit as well as Magic does with that team though. They wouldn't win 5 rings. They'd surely win some on talent alone though. I don't think showtime would have nearly the same amount of hype it does now though had Kobe been running it.

• Owner

Kobe doesn't fit as well as Magic does with that team though. They wouldn't win 5 rings. They'd surely win some on talent alone though. I don't think showtime would have nearly the same amount of hype it does now though had Kobe been running it.

If Kobe won three rings with Shaq as the leading scorer, I don't see how he couldn't have won those three, or more, with Kareem, who was putting up numbers in the Finals similar to Shaq (see the 1980 Finals).

In fact, here...

Kareem was the man in 1980, averaging 33 points, 14 boards, and five blocks in the NBA Finals.

Norm Nixon averaged 18 points and 10 assists (better than Magic's 16/8) in the 1982 Finals, while Jamaal Wilkes was the leading scorer.

Kareem averaged 26 points, nine boards and five assists in the 1985 NBA FInals.

It wasn't until 1987 and 1988 that Magic actually took reign as the true leader of that team in the Finals.

So his first three rings, Magic was your typical Pippen, minus the defense, plus assists.

Just another block of information to retain when we start discussing the top three greatest players of all-time.

Since this thread is comparing these two as individual players, I'll take Kobe. He has better individual defense (I wouldn't say better help defense), better overall defense, more agile, more deadly, better perimeter shooter, and is not a one dimensional player.

I would take Magic though to start a team. His combination of easy going personality and leadership are natural and as good as you've seen from any player in NBA history, and make him easy to follow and build around. It's easier to put talent around Magic than Kobe. The former adjusts to his teammates' game, while Kobe often requires his teammates to adjust to his game.

Edited by Snake

If Kobe won three rings with Shaq as the leading scorer, I don't see how he couldn't have won those three, or more, with Kareem, who was putting up numbers in the Finals similar to Shaq (see the 1980 Finals).

In fact, here...

Do you k now how many rings Kareem won in LA before Magic Johnson? None.

If Kareem was "the man" in 1980 then explain why Magic Johnson won the Finals MVP leading the team to a championship as a rookie with Kareem on the sidelines. When Kobe was a rookie he was riding the bench, not leading teams to championships. I repeat Finals MVP. Kobe never sniffed one of them his first few championships as he rode Shaq. It took him til his 13th season to get it. A 42 point, 15 rebound, 7 assist performance while playing every position on the floor is something we will never see again. As a 20 year old rookie may I add. Can't emphasize that part enough. Clearly he had no problems against the daunting defense of Mo Cheeks and Julius Erving in that series lool.

• Owner

Do you k now how many rings Kareem won in LA before Magic Johnson? None.

If Kareem was "the man" in 1980 then explain why Magic Johnson won the Finals MVP leading the team to a championship as a rookie with Kareem on the sidelines. When Kobe was a rookie he was riding the bench, not leading teams to championships. I repeat Finals MVP. Kobe never sniffed one of them his first few championships as he rode Shaq. It took him til his 13th season to get it. A 42 point, 15 rebound, 7 assist performance while playing every position on the floor is something we will never see again. As a 20 year old rookie may I add. Can't emphasize that part enough. Clearly he had no problems against the daunting defense of Mo Cheeks and Julius Erving in that series lool.

Do you know how many rings Jordan won before Pippen? None.

How many rings Shaq won before Kobe? None.

How many rings Garnett won before Pierce? None.

And he had ONE GREAT GAME that nobody will forget. Good for him. I'm talking 1983, when Cheeks and Erving locked him up. What happened there? Here, I'll quote it once again for you, just in case you didn't read it all...

How would you grade Magic's shooting in the 1983 NBA Finals, when Cheeks and Erving were all over him, forcing him to shoot 40% from the floor with an average of six turnovers per game, in an ugly sweep?