Sim League Sign-Ups (read first post)

Sky

Each summer on various hoop boards for the past few years I've run an All-Time League. Draft a team, add free agents, make trades and then coach your teams in the playoffs head-to-head with game plans. NBA players from 1970 forward are eligible, you pick the season that forms the player's stats for the game. Playoff stats are also factored in, but more in game plans and making the case that a player is clutch or steps it up[ in the post-season. Players with under 70 games in a season are subject to an injury risk tied to games played. Judges review the teams to seed for the playoffs and then pick a winner based on rosters and game plans. Higher seed picks the game rules, old school - hand check and no zone, or new school - zones with no handchecks.

Need GM/coaches and judges. Players that are eliminated can then be added as judges. Single elimination playoff tournament. Depth of the game plans is set by the coaches, you guys vote on how in-depth you want to go with it. Past ATL's have had play diagrams and videos, others have had strict limits on the depth and media of the write up so that the time investment is more reasonable. You guys make the call on where to draw that line.

Players are assigned salaries based on impact and their all-time rank at a position (obviously the latter is subjective but you have to start somewhere). Top salary set at 30. Stat ceilings are set for MLE players. GMs can build a team for bang for the buck and depth, high impact, or to create cap room to go shopping. Since you pick single seasons, a flash in the pan that had one great year can be tremendously valuable, so doing your research can really pay off.

In the past when we've had knowledgeable active GMs and reliable fair judging it's been a great success and a lot of fun. I'd serve as commissioner and lead judge (my vote would break ties). My background is an NBA fan since 1971-72, used to cover the league as a radio reporter in the 80s. Doing this in the past has helped to work out some of the kinks in the game, but ultimately you get out what you put in.

If you are interested please sign up below. If we have enough interest I'll go forward with it. Hopefully Real can promote it on the board and we can get enough GMs to play. Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner

Yes, he'll run it and stay with it. Every league he runs, he either completes, or it goes down due to member activity, not his. I can verify this, as I've known Sky for a long time.

I'll put out a board announcement late tonight. :)

Yes, he'll run it and stay with it. Every league he runs, he either completes, or it goes down due to member activity, not his. I can verify this, as I've known Sky for a long time.

I'll put out a board announcement late tonight. :)

Trick is to lower player ratings and start around 03 or 04.

The main two reasons GMs get crapped out because of a league is...

1. Players ratings go sky high and every team ends up with 5 all stars

2. GMs end up seeing a bunch of made up players and players they do not recognize more often then players they do.

Anyway.

Im in.

World - There are no player ratings just salaries. It isn't a sim league where stats are fed to a computer and bam. You put the team together and make the case for it in your game plan. The stats are the numbers of the player from the season the GM/coach chooses. The stats are a foundation for the game plan, nothing more or less. Judges review the stats and the game plans and make their call.

Players from earlier decades are given a slight boost in athleticism, judges are asked to put the player in today's context. Still means most modern players will have an edge in athleticism, but not necessarily in skill. A Dr. J translates very well, but a Wes Unseld would not. Can't just go by stats but by how the player would fit in an all-time league.

Player stats from 3 and blocks before those were kept are projected. A Jerry West would have money 3 range, Wilt would have sick block numbers, etc. Projections would be provided upfront. Player salaries would not, just guidelines of salaries by tier, #1 in position 30-27M, #2 in position would have a salary based on how close they are to #1 and so on down the line. Salaries come into play in creating cap room if you want to shop and trades are subject to the CBA (125% rule).

If the GM/coaches want to reduce the subjective stat projection element by moving the eligible players up to 1980 forward instead of 1970 we can do that, up to you guys. Once we have a set group ready to play we can hold poll votes on what you want to do and set the parameters of the league from there.

Thanks for all the interest so far, involved players makes for a great league.

I'm not sure If I'm understanding how this works lol, if it is what I think you're saying it sounds pretty dumb no offense. However maybe I just misunderstood. Do you have a link to any previous leagues run under this system?

I'm not sure If I'm understanding how this works lol, if it is what I think you're saying it sounds pretty dumb no offense. However maybe I just misunderstood. Do you have a link to any previous leagues run under this system?

I Agree.

I've seen this done on a few sites and its never successful or.... well good.

Never mind.

Count me out. I was expecting FBB.

Edited by bravenewworld

I don't know if the old leagues are still up at the various boards, I'll see if I can find something.

If it sounds dumb I either haven't explained it well or you don't like the subjectivity involved and want something computerized that simply crunches numbers and spits out a result. That's not this game. Keys are building a complete team and writing a great game plan that takes full advantage of your strengths and exposes the opposition's weaknesses. Need to be solid in team building and great in strategy to win. Number crunching is more objective, this game is more subjective. Winning is still based on what counts most - knowledge of the players and their ability in matchups on both ends, research and strategy.

Draft a team

Make moves in free agency and trades

Coach the team through game plans for offense and defense

Judges choose a winner based on the game plans

Level of detail in each of those steps are up to the players. Again we've had play diagrams and videos in the past, lengthy game plans, or game plans with strict limits on length and what you can include. Up to you.

World - Fair enough. It's been well received in the past. Club Lakers a few years ago ATL was a big hit there. But if some are put off by the subjectivity I understand that concern. All I can say is over time it's worked well and folks have enjoyed it and thought it was fun and worthwhile.

Edited by Sky