Good year for Phils Farm

Guest N4S

Earlier this decade, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels were minor-leaguers in the Phillies' system. They developed into major-leaguers and eventually formed part of the core that helped the Phillies win the 2008 World Series.

The Phils valued the four players (pitchers Carlos Carrasco and Jason Knapp, catcher Lou Marson and infielder Jason Donald) they surrendered for Lee, but only Knapp was considered a blue-chipper. The Phils were able to hang on to their elite prospects, and all of them enhanced their worth this season. They are 21-year-old righthander Kyle Drabek, 23-year-old outfielder Michael Taylor, 21-year-old outfielder Domonic Brown, and 19-year-old outfielder Anthony Gose. All project as big-league difference-makers.

Drabek, with his mid-90s fastball, hard-dropping curveball and improved change-up, went 12-3 with a 3.19 ERA at Reading and single-A Clearwater. He struck out 150 and walked 50 while allowing 141 hits in 158 innings. The Phils envision him working his way into their rotation at some point next season.

Taylor hit .333 with 15 homers, 65 RBIs, 18 stolen bases and a .977 combined on-base and slugging percentage in 86 games at double A, then made a nice showing at triple A, where he hit .282 with five homers, 19 RBIs, and an .850 OPS in 30 games. This after hitting .346 with 19 homers and 88 RBIs in single A in 2008.

"Even with as good a year as he had in A ball [in 2008], I don't think anyone could have predicted what he did in the Eastern League this year," assistant GM Chuck LaMar said. "He tore it up. We've always thought of him as a major-league prospect, but he sped his clock toward Philadelphia."

Brown is often compared to a young Darryl Strawberry because of his 6-foot-6 frame and whippy lefthanded swing. He is widely considered the most promising position player in the system. He made a strong showing at Clearwater and Reading, hitting a combined .299 with 14 homers, 64 RBIs, and an .880 OPS.

With Taylor and Brown, both corner outfielders, the Phils have potential successors to Raul Ibañez and Jayson Werth. The team also has a potentially dynamic centerfielder in Gose, who, a year out of high school, held his own in the SAL and led all of minor-league ball with 76 steals.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090918_Phillies_made_strides_in_the_minors__too.html

:D

Brown is going to be amazing, but he won't get a shot for another two years unless Victorino or Werth are traded. Once Ibanez is gone, Brown is the left fielder, barring anything unexpected between now and then.

Drabek clearly has top of the rotation stuff. I have heard him compared to Tom Seaver, but the issue with him will be staying healthy. Also from what I hear he is a class-A douche bag, and I know that will not fly on this team. I think they want him to start next season in AAA, and with all of the starting pitching depth at the Major League level there is no reason to rush him along.

As for Taylor, he is probably MLB ready right now but clearly there is no spot for him on the big league roster. I view him as trade bait since his value is super high right now.

Edited by Phightins09

Honestly I would trade some of those Outfielder prospects for some guys to help the team right now. Our outfield is set and probably the best in the MLB with Ibanzez, Werth, and Victorino. We don't need 3 stud farm guys and I would like to trade the 23 year old guy to try and get some value for him and let him get a shot somewhere else.

Werth is a free agent next year, Ibanez in 2 years, and Victorino still in arbitration years and is under team control until after 2011 (although I expect them to lock him up long term this winter). I think Taylor will be used as trade bait since he's a bit older and is MLB ready right now, but Brown will be kept around as the heir apparent to Werth/Ibanez.