DeRozan will start some game

headliner

"We might start [DeRozan] off in games, let him play with a real good bunch of players because if we don't start him, maybe we have a hard time getting him in," Triano said, while clarifying the rookie's place in the starting five was not a sure thing.

"You can't let a No. 9 pick rot on the bench and not develop him."

LINK

What do you guys think of Demar starting some games this season? Do you think it’s a good idea or do you think it’s a bad idea?

It is the best possible situation for his development and for the team. I have been saying that they should do this ever since he he was drafted basically. It makes perfect sense for him. He won't be a focal point offensively and won't be asked to do too much on that end of the floor as he will be playing with 4 other talented offensive players. All he will need to focus on is playing defense, knocking down open jumpers and just making full use of his athleticism.

• Owner

Yeah, Toronto won't have much of a chance developing him if he was coming off the bench. It would be like throwing him into a river without a life jacket. Toronto isn't going to be a contender, so he would definitely have trouble learning the game alongside other reserves.

I figured this was going to happen, though. DeRozan has the potential to be a pretty good player, and he also has that potential to be a wasted pick. It really depends on how much he learns his first two seasons with the Raptors, and how willing he is to learn those things. You can say, "Yeah, that's what we claim for all picks." But the truth is, that's not exactly true, as some just aren't fit from the start, some are meant to lead from the first day on, and others (like DeRozan) need to be groomed into a professional by their coaches and other teammates.

I think DeRozan is the 3rd best player in this draft (quote me on that). Some games? No, I think he should be a regular starter,

He could very well end up as the third best player, or even the second best player, in this years draft, but as of right now, there is no way that he is the 3rd best player in the draft. He is not nearly as NBA ready as some of the other prospects taken. Guys like Griffin, Curry, Evans and Flynn are definitely more NBA ready than DeRozan is right now, but his ceiling is higher than almost everybody in the draft.

The way I see it, DeRozan will be given the starting job at the start of the season and it will be his to lose. From everything that I have heard/read about him from Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo makes me very confident that he will be the starting shooting guard to open the season.

He could very well end up as the third best player, or even the second best player, in this years draft, but as of right now, there is no way that he is the 3rd best player in the draft. He is not nearly as NBA ready as some of the other prospects taken. Guys like Griffin, Curry, Evans and Flynn are definitely more NBA ready than DeRozan is right now, but his ceiling is higher than almost everybody in the draft.

The way I see it, DeRozan will be given the starting job at the start of the season and it will be his to lose. From everything that I have heard/read about him from Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo makes me very confident that he will be the starting shooting guard to open the season.

If it's my team on draft night, I'll take Griffin and Evans at 1 and 2. After that, it's DeRozan.

If it's my team on draft night, I'll take Griffin and Evans at 1 and 2. After that, it's DeRozan.

That doesn't necessarily mean that DeRozan is the third best player in the draft as of right now though. It means that you think he could become the third best player in the draft which is not what you said.

As of right now, DeRozan is not the third best rookie in the league. I don't even see how you could possibly argue otherwise.

I don’t think that Demar is the third best player in this draft but it’s hard to tell when none of these players have played a single game in the NBA. Demar does have the greatest potential in this draft class to be the one of the best players to come out of this draft but we will know for sure 3 years down the road when we look back at this draft. Some of these players may take the whole season to adapt to the league and a few players are able to contribute sooner in their first season. It’s a matter of the player being in the right situation and having the right attitude. Demar has the right attitude which is very impressive to me and Demar has a great opportunity to be very good this season because he is in the right situation and it’s up to him how things go.

That doesn't necessarily mean that DeRozan is the third best player in the draft as of right now though. It means that you think he could become the third best player in the draft which is not what you said.

As of right now, DeRozan is not the third best rookie in the league. I don't even see how you could possibly argue otherwise.

Yeah, you got me. I wish I could play semantics games like a professional writer. Ok, Demar DeRozan will be the third most productive player of the 2009 draft class in five years (therefore making him the wisest choice as the third pick).

It could go either way imo. the positives of him starting are more minutes, less pressure to score, and high confedence. the negatives are that he is still raw and will probably be taken advantage of by opposing teams and will get torched his first few games. I feel the Raps will want him in there for his athleticism, hoping he will be able to guard opposing SGs, and because of the lack of defense anywhere on the Raps, he will most likely have to guard the oppositions best player. With that in mind, i would rather start Wright so Demar can come in the game later and just play a little bit at a time. in December i think it would be benifical to start him, not now