Questions

TheNextBestThing

I was just wondering a few things about rap and hardcore music.

1. Why do rap albums "feature" other artists so frequently? If I look at the back of a rap CD at Wal-mart, the majority of tracks say "feat. SmoKe DeTeCtOr" or something. Including the random names with random capitalization. Is there a reason for this?

2. What's the difference between hardcore, metalcore, Super Saiyan core, whatever? It sounds like people started calling their music hardcore. But soon there were so many "hardcore" people, that they wanted to sound tougher. "You're hardcore? Well, I'm metalcore!" Is there a difference?

Thanks.

1. Why do rap albums "feature" other artists so frequently? If I look at the back of a rap CD at Wal-mart, the majority of tracks say "feat. SmoKe DeTeCtOr" or something. Including the random names with random capitalization. Is there a reason for this?

2. What's the difference between hardcore, metalcore, Super Saiyan core, whatever? It sounds like people started calling their music hardcore. But soon there were so many "hardcore" people, that they wanted to sound tougher. "You're hardcore? Well, I'm metalcore!" Is there a difference?

Thanks.

Dragonball Z core? :rofl:

A lot of the newer mainstream rap artist do not have enough material to create a whole album. A lot of the older more respected artist were able to create solo albums that are still good to this day. ex Nas Illmatic.

Thanks.

There is, lol for the 2nd one.

Metalcore is Metal mixed with hardcore, Deathcore is Death metal mixed with some hardcore.

Theres actually millions of these core genres.

metalcore

Post-hardcore

Deathcore

Nintendocore

Mathcore

Crabcore.

Im a huge fan of core music.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

Well sometimes, they'll just want to make music with someone they admire to see what the outcome would be, or they know someone who shares the same views as them on the subject matter of the song. But other times I feel like it's just famous people getting together so people will be like "wow, Eminem, Kanye, and Jay Z all on the same track? I shall check that out." Also, if you're just one guy making an album, there's plenty of room for other people to make music with. That's why you don't see a lot of rappers featured on Wu Tang albums, because they already have a ton of members.

Thanks.

My favorite is Applecore.

No but I have no idea though. I'm with you on this one.

I think rap artists have features to try to get the fans of those rappers to buy their albums. For example, if 50 cent features Eminem in one of his songs, then many Eminem fans will buy it, therefore increasing the chance of 50 cent getting more people to his fanbase.

I think rap artists have features to try to get the fans of those rappers to buy their albums. For example, if 50 cent features Eminem in one of his songs, then many Eminem fans will buy it, therefore increasing the chance of 50 cent getting more people to his fanbase.

yeah. and for some of the younger inexperienced guys in the rap game (ex. j.cole on jay-z's new blueprint 3 album) it's a way to get their name out...kinda like a "if jay-z has this guy on his cd, he must be good!" type of thing.

yeah. and for some of the younger inexperienced guys in the rap game (ex. j.cole on jay-z's new blueprint 3 album) it's a way to get their name out...kinda like a "if jay-z has this guy on his cd, he must be good!" type of thing.

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, Rap music has become more of a business than an art (judging from most of the mainstream rap I've heard). It's like they've developed a formula for their CDs, singles, and videos based on creating a popular image of themselves to try to increase sales, versus making more creative content and just all-around enjoyable albums. That's the way I see rap music. I think it has potential, but as of right now, I just ignore it as well as most Pop and R&B music on the radio and in the top 100 list on iTunes.