Best ground game in the UFC?

La Bomba

I think it's safe to say Silva probably has the best stand up in the UFC with his striking. On the ground it's more questionable who the No. 1 guy is. A few I would throw out there off the top of my head are BJ Penn, Brock Lesner, Josh Koscheck, GSP, and Minotauro. I'm probably forgetting a few.

• 3 weeks later...

I really don’t agree that it’s safe to say that Silva is the best striker in the UFC. I think he’s top two, but there is some question to him really being the number one striker in the UFC. Machida has proven to be a very adept striker, his ability to mix kickboxing and karate make him as good of a striker as anyone in the UFC. In fact, no one has really even been able to land any good or solid shots on him at all while in the UFC. I would put Machida’s ability to strike right on par with Silva.

As for best ground game, Maia is definitely a good one for best ground game. His brazilian jiu-jitsu is top notch, few are able to match his ability on the ground. Aside from him, I would put BJ Penn as the other one being the best on the ground. George St. Pierre is really good, but I still question his ability from his back, and how well he can pull off any type of submissions or defense from his back. BJ Penn on the top can send down punches with lethal power as well as anyone else in the game, his domination of Stevenson and Florian was proof of his ability to strike from the top position. He also has the ability to sink in any type of submission at any time as well. What sets him a part though, is how well he can fight from his back, and the control he can have from his back. His rubber guard is by far the best in the MMA that we have seen so far, his flexibility and ability to really put his foot almost all the way up to the top of his shoulder blades is as good as we have seen. He limit’s any amount of damage he takes. His ability to both dictate the pace on the bottom, as well as most people he faces positions is just amazing. I think he is as dominant at 155 as anyone else in the UFC is at their weight class.

• Like 1