Karl: A.I. Needs To Put Ego Aside

La Bomba

Nuggets coach George Karl wants to see Allen Iverson succeed in Memphis.

Karl knows Iverson better than most, having coached the future Hall of Famer in parts of three seasons in Denver.

"I'm an A.I. guy, I hope this transformation he will give the opportunity to be a bench player a chance because I think he can become a great," Karl told WSCR in Chicago. "He knows the game, he's one of the all-time great scorers, little guy being successful; when he came in to this game no one could have predicted the career that he has had."

Karl hopes that Iverson is able to check his ego at the door while in Memphis, something he wasn't able to do in Detroit.

"...And, now that he's getting in whatever you want to call it, the twilight of his career, I hope he gives the sixth man, come off the bench, be a scorer off the bench, be a mentor to young players in Memphis, give it an opportunity. And, sometimes ego gets in the way of all of us - we all have at times trouble to realize, you know, we gotta do it this way. I think if AI realizes that he can me a mentor, he can be a great sixth man, Memphis has an interesting basketball team with Randolph, and A.I., and some of the changes they made this season. I think they have an opportunity to kinda be a surprise in the Western Conference."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61590/20090915/karl_ai_needs_to_put_ego_aside/