Hakeem working out with Thabeet

Dash

HOUSTON - Memphis Grizzlies rookie center Hasheem Thabeet, the second pick in June's NBA Draft out of UCONN, went to a different kind of school Friday and Saturday.

Thabeet and his agents asked Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon for a personal workout and the two got together for a pair of sessions in the Houston area.

Thabeet's goal was to sharpen his skills and tap into the knowledge of one of greatest centers of all-time and who better to work with than Olajuwon.

"It's always a joy for me when a great, potential talent would like to improve their footwork," Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. It's a huge compliment for me that somebody realized the value of their post moves and trying to pattern their game after my game."

Thabeet said getting the opportunity to work with a Hall of Famer like Olajuwon was a dream come true.

"I still watch his tapes," Thabeet said. "He was one of the best players of all-time.

"To spend a couple of hours with him (Friday) and (Saturday), I think it's going to help me a lot. He taught me a lot of stuff that I never thought of."

Olajuwon made a miraculous journey from his home country of Nigeria to the top of the world of basketball.

Like Olajuwon, Thabeet is also from the Continent of Africa. He is working toward making a similar journey

Link

I guess being African and Muslim gets you somewhere.

Hopefully he does pick up a few things.

Edited by Dash

Definitely a good move on Thabeet's part. There is really not a better ex NBA center to pattern your game after.

This is also encouaging news for Memphis fans as it shows that Thabeet is not content with just sitting on his raw natural gifts and is willing to take the innicative and seek out tutilige from an NBA legend like Hakeem.