09-10 Conference Standings

Poe

6 Heat (no improvements made in off season)

Just because the Heat didn't go after stars or make drastic trades doesn't mean they didn't get better. They made all the improvements right with the team that they have now. :) Trust me, the Heat are a lot better than people think. ;)

^You think the Heat are going to have a better record than the Magic? As Charles Barkley would say "You done lost your damn mind." Seriously wtf

I don't see any reason why the Heat can't pull it off, unless there are key injuries, of course.

Just because the Heat didn't go after stars or make drastic trades doesn't mean they didn't get better. They made all the improvements right with the team that they have now. :) Trust me, the Heat are a lot better than people think. ;)

I think the Raptors with Turkogolu and other editions like Bellinelli have put themselves over the Heat. Also the Bulls will be better with Rose having a year behind him.

Imo, the Heat needed to get Boozer or Odom. Their big men is the problem imo. Don't get me wrong.....Wade is lethal along with Chalmers, Cook, etc...,but JO and Magloire and Anthony don't do it for me big men wise.

I think the Raptors with Turkogolu and other editions like Bellinelli have put themselves over the Heat. Also the Bulls will be better with Rose having a year behind him.

Imo, the Heat needed to get Boozer or Odom. Their big men is the problem imo. Don't get me wrong.....Wade is lethal along with Chalmers, Cook, etc...,but JO and Magloire and Anthony don't do it for me big men wise.

Odom could have been a nice addition, but Boozer? Not if they are losing Haslem and Wright in the deal, especially for this defensive minded team. I doubt Pat Riley was ever interested in such a move, and he also confirmed that he was never truly interested in getting a veteran PG, which shows his confidence in Chalmers and Quinn (and, perhaps, Wade and Wright's versatility to play the PG, if needed, as well).

We're definitely going to see major improvements from Cook, Chalmers, Beasley, and Joel, and perhaps Quinn (if given the PT) and Wright coming off a long injury. With all the questions on who's going to get minutes at SF for the Heat (between Diawara, Jones, Beasley, Wright, Q-Rich, and Cook), all of these guys have put in a ton of extra work to prove themselves. Mainly because of this, this has become one of the most competitive off seasons for the Heat team in a long time. There is also competition between Joel and Magloire for back up minutes at the Center position. Spoe's style is that everyone has to earn their minutes for this ball club, nothing is guaranteed.

I wouldn't count out JO, Magloire, and Anthony out as replaceable bigmen just yet, although it would be nice to have a couple 7 footers brought into this squad. Joel is an underrated big. He is like a very poor man's Dennis Rodman - he is only concerned about rebounds, hustle, defense, blocking and changing shots, and setting screens. It's a sure bet that he'll be improving his offense, too, thanks to Alonzo in the coaching staff. I'm also confident that JO will be improving his game, mainly due to his performance in the playoffs. He had a few game streak of averaging roughly 20 points and 8 boards, before going down with injury to miss the last couple games. He's worked this offseason with the same trainer that kept D-Wade on his feat for his career high of 79 games last season, and I'm sure that he will have a similar affect on JO. Also, Jamaal Magloire produces in ways that doesn't show up in his raw ability. For instance, his presence has helped young players like Beasley learn better positioning on defense.

BTW, the Raptors still need to develop chemistry with all of their new additions. They've made all the right moves, but I doubt they'll all gel perfectly together right from the get go, especially since there are only 3 remaining players from last year's team (I think). I put the Heat > Raptors next year, but not by far.

• 2 weeks later...

Odom could have been a nice addition, but Boozer? Not if they are losing Haslem and Wright in the deal, especially for this defensive minded team. I doubt Pat Riley was ever interested in such a move, and he also confirmed that he was never truly interested in getting a veteran PG, which shows his confidence in Chalmers and Quinn (and, perhaps, Wade and Wright's versatility to play the PG, if needed, as well).

We're definitely going to see major improvements from Cook, Chalmers, Beasley, and Joel, and perhaps Quinn (if given the PT) and Wright coming off a long injury. With all the questions on who's going to get minutes at SF for the Heat (between Diawara, Jones, Beasley, Wright, Q-Rich, and Cook), all of these guys have put in a ton of extra work to prove themselves. Mainly because of this, this has become one of the most competitive off seasons for the Heat team in a long time. There is also competition between Joel and Magloire for back up minutes at the Center position. Spoe's style is that everyone has to earn their minutes for this ball club, nothing is guaranteed.

I wouldn't count out JO, Magloire, and Anthony out as replaceable bigmen just yet, although it would be nice to have a couple 7 footers brought into this squad. Joel is an underrated big. He is like a very poor man's Dennis Rodman - he is only concerned about rebounds, hustle, defense, blocking and changing shots, and setting screens. It's a sure bet that he'll be improving his offense, too, thanks to Alonzo in the coaching staff. I'm also confident that JO will be improving his game, mainly due to his performance in the playoffs. He had a few game streak of averaging roughly 20 points and 8 boards, before going down with injury to miss the last couple games. He's worked this offseason with the same trainer that kept D-Wade on his feat for his career high of 79 games last season, and I'm sure that he will have a similar affect on JO. Also, Jamaal Magloire produces in ways that doesn't show up in his raw ability. For instance, his presence has helped young players like Beasley learn better positioning on defense.

BTW, the Raptors still need to develop chemistry with all of their new additions. They've made all the right moves, but I doubt they'll all gel perfectly together right from the get go, especially since there are only 3 remaining players from last year's team (I think). I put the Heat > Raptors next year, but not by far.

The Heat are a mediocre team, expecting them to be third is borderline crazy. They needed Wade to go out of his mind just to post a 5 seed and a first round exit. Now, the middle of the conference is slightly improved and the Heat are supposed to jump? And Orlando is supposed to fall that low?

Haslem's solid, but why do you like Dorrell Wright so much? He's done nothing to show that he can be a rotation player in the NBA. Chalmers is mistake prone, and Quinn is a third stringer playing second string. Daequan Cook has done nothing to show that he's little more than a streak shooter. Beasley will be playing a position he's never played before, never passes, and can't defend. Joel Anthony is a solid defender (and the Heat play better with him as opposed to Jermaine) but nothing more. O'Neal is as soft as they come.

What makes you think the Hawks didn't get better. Their roster is young and should all improve internally as well. Washington has added some firepower. The Magic are explosive offensively and sound defensively.

I'll never count Wade out, and Miami is sound defensively but they won't be a top three team next year. They have below average starters/question marks/inexperience at too many key positions.

The Heat are a mediocre team, expecting them to be third is borderline crazy. They needed Wade to go out of his mind just to post a 5 seed and a first round exit. Now, the middle of the conference is slightly improved and the Heat are supposed to jump? And Orlando is supposed to fall that low?

Haslem's solid, but why do you like Dorrell Wright so much? He's done nothing to show that he can be a rotation player in the NBA. Chalmers is mistake prone, and Quinn is a third stringer playing second string. Daequan Cook has done nothing to show that he's little more than a streak shooter. Beasley will be playing a position he's never played before, never passes, and can't defend. Joel Anthony is a solid defender (and the Heat play better with him as opposed to Jermaine) but nothing more. O'Neal is as soft as they come.

What makes you think the Hawks didn't get better. Their roster is young and should all improve internally as well. Washington has added some firepower. The Magic are explosive offensively and sound defensively.

I'll never count Wade out, and Miami is sound defensively but they won't be a top three team next year. They have below average starters/question marks/inexperience at too many key positions.

The Heat lost the previous series against the Hawks because JO was out and Wade ran out of steam. Chalmers, Cook, and Beasley were all struggling that series for the most part, mainly because they were young and inexperienced, and they just didn't appear ready. The only solid players were Wade, Haslem, and O'Neal (for three games), and Jones was hitting shots.

This year, the Heat have improved simply by not making any moves (other than the chemistry-building move of throwing away Blount for Q-Rich) and allowing the young players to add to their game. Chalmers is expected to rise greatly this year, Cook will be more consistent while adding more weapons to his offensive game, and Joel will continue to be solid and has perhaps improved his offensive abilities as well.

To me, Beasley is the biggest question. There are many concerns around him, including being a ball-stopper on offense and a defensive liability on both forward positions. I still think he should actually be coming off the bench, and play sort of like Odom's role to the Lakers and bring offense, rebounding, and energy off the bench. If Dorell or Jones start at SF, I think the Heat can be a top 3 or 4 team. If Beasley starts, taking the time to develop him this way for this season may hurt the team's record and put them down a couple more seeds, but perhaps be more beneficial for future seasons if extra on court experience can help him learn to be a more fluid part of the offense and be just as versatile on both ends of the court.

Quinn isn't nearly as bad as people think, at least on the offensive end, and I still think Dorell can find his potential given consistent playing time.

BTW, I change my mind about the Magic. I didn't realize their plan to start Ryan Anderson at the 4. That changes a lot. Carter isn't his old self, and I don't know a whole lot about Ryan's ability to play defense (although Howard's presence can make up for that). They can still battle it out to maybe get 3rd seed.

• 6 months later...

No one got 14 right, I say we all lose for everyone having the Hornets making it and everyone not having the Bucks making it

Edited by Fish7718

• Owner

I got 14. :D But I didn't post the predictions in this topic, of course. BLAH.

Great points, Sean. I'm just not sure about the team tanking, though...as in, the players accepting that.

But as I mentioned, and you elaborated on, the free agent market will be filled with some talented bigs. What happens if Amare or Bosh go to Oklahoma City?

C - Amare

PF - Green

SF - Durant

SG - Harden

PG - Westbrook

That's pretty damn scary, especially watching Durant's game improve significantly over just a year's time.

I gotta admit, if the Lakers don't win it all in 2010-11, I'd be rooting for the Thunder to take it (if they got that far). Finally having a local team to root for in 78 of their games...it's pretty nice.

Only problem is, I would think the playoffs pan out like this, for this season:

WEST

1) Lakers

2) Spurs

3) Nuggets

4) Mavericks

5) Suns

6) Hornets

7) Jazz

8) Thunder

EAST

1) Cavaliers

2) Magic

3) Celtics

4) Hawks

5) Raptors

6) Heat

7) Bulls

8) Bobcats

It would absolutely suck for me, since I would have to root against the Thunder. :(

So, yep...haha, maybe they'll get Bosh in 2010, and have a higher seed after that.

Posted back in mid-August, here: http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/4171-can-the-thunder-make-it

• Owner

Those are pretty accurate.

Would've been better if the Hornets didn't suck. I don't know if anyone really thought they would play THAT bad.

And the Bucks, of course...would've never guessed they'd make it.

Would've been better if the Hornets didn't suck. I don't know if anyone really thought they would play THAT bad.

And the Bucks, of course...would've never guessed they'd make it.

Well who would have guessed that Brandon Jennings would turn out so great?

Chris Paul was injured for quite some time.

I know but they will be much higher than 8th seed, they are running and gunning again, Nash will regain his MVP-like form and with Stat and J-Rich both potential 20+ guys they are set,, they also still have Barbosa. This team will regain their form and win close to 55 games IMO, barring any injuries.

Nash-Jrich-Grant-Stat-Robin is a good lineup, with a 6th man candidate in Barbosa as their spark plug. I assume Robin is starting because their big man situation is still pathetic, but if they can address that this team can be close to as good as their teams when Nash was winning MVP IMO.

I'm not trynna be ballsy lol, everyone has them as a borderline playoff team and they should be comfortably in the playoff picture.

This team's situation is not as bad as many thought, J-Rich is being overlooked as a factor IMO, before their big 3 was Stat-Nash-Marion, now it is Stat-Nash-Jrich.... but with Robin and Grant instead Raja and whoever the other starter was (I forget lol)... realistically this team could be Tyson Chandler away from being a contender again.

damn