Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre

Guest N4S

Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Silva. He's too dominant right now. Despite the injury, GSP still had some trouble in his last fight, while Silva has pretty much demolished everyone in front of him, and fighters are lucky to even get a clean hit in.

Silva. He's too dominant right now. Despite the injury, GSP still had some trouble in his last fight, while Silva has pretty much demolished everyone in front of him, and fighters are lucky to even get a clean hit in.

GSP completely dominated Thiago Alves in his last fight. He was dominating Alves in every single aspect including striking, which GSP was supposed to be at a severe disadvantage in. He didn't have any trouble with Alves at all and dominated that fight from start to finish even with him having a groin injury. GSP has completely dominated all of his fights since Josh Koscheck (the last fight he lost a round on the judges scorecard).

He doesn't dominate in the same way that Silva does (ie. knocking people out) but what he does it domination none the less. Just ask Jon Fitch what he thinks about GSP's domination:

http://www.hunglodojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/jon-fitch-3.jpg

Even with all of that said though, Silva would beat GSP because of the fact that he have a gigantic size advantage over him that would be too much for GSP to overcome. GSP's style of fighting is the ideal style to defeat Silva (elite wrestling, top control, sub defense with good striking and BJJ) but I don't think that GSP would have the size or strength to be able to take down and control the much larger and stronger Silva.

Skill wise there isn't much seperating the two of them, but Silva would definitely win.

• Owner

Well, I figured GSP would pick apart Alves much quicker. It was a decision, right? And I believe the groin injury happened in the third round? He should've had Alves finished by then.

But that's just one man's opinion.

Well, I figured GSP would pick apart Alves much quicker. It was a decision, right? And I believe the groin injury happened in the third round? He should've had Alves finished by then.

But that's just one man's opinion.

Thiago Alves is no joke though. He is a top 3 WW in the world and is a tough, tough dude. GSP hit him with some hard shots and dropped him a couple of times.

You also have to keep in mind that GSP's style of fighting is just completely different from Anderson Silva's. Silva goes out there and unloads on his opponenents with his percision striking. GSP goes out there and uses his superior wrestling, control and cardio to wear his opponents down and bring the fights to the later rounds because of his unlimited gas tank. Then in the 4th and 5th rounds he turns it on and picks apart his exhausted opponent (like he did against BJ Penn).

GSP and Anderson Silva both dominate their opponents, they just do it in a different way because they are both elite in different aspects of fighting (Silva with his striking, GSP with his wrestling).

Like I said though, Silva would be a heavy favourite if the two ever fought. Originally I wanted to see the fight, but after seeing how Silva completely dominated a huge Light Heavyweight in Forrest Griffin, I don't want to see the fight happen because Silva is simply too big of a fighter. He would have like 4 inches and around 20 pounds on GSP to go along with his huge strength and reach advantages.

• 2 weeks later...

GSP completely dominated Thiago Alves in his last fight. He was dominating Alves in every single aspect including striking, which GSP was supposed to be at a severe disadvantage in. He didn't have any trouble with Alves at all and dominated that fight from start to finish even with him having a groin injury. GSP has completely dominated all of his fights since Josh Koscheck (the last fight he lost a round on the judges scorecard).

He doesn't dominate in the same way that Silva does (ie. knocking people out) but what he does it domination none the less. Just ask Jon Fitch what he thinks about GSP's domination:

What amazed me about people thinking that was where George St. Pierre had the disadvantage, was that when George St. Pierre first came into the UFC that is what he was known for. His striking was really the area that first got him into the UFC, and people really didn’t know about his wrestling ability. GSP really is one of the elite strikers in the UFC, because his background in so many disciplines. Trains with real Muay-Thai teacher from Thailand, kickboxing, and his background in Karate as well. GSP is such an amazing striker, but because he likes to use his wrestling, and the almost fluke by Serra people fail to remember that he is. I didn’t think heading into that fight that GSP really had a disadvantage in the striking at all.

Your right though, no matter where that fight took place, GSP dominated the entire fight with Alves. Set the pace and tempo, dictated where the fight was going to take place, and by far inflicted the most punishment. His jab with his hand was landing at will when they was standing, he hit a lot of leg kicks which was supposed to be Alves big deal, and just beat him up. I really thought it was beautiful display of MMA by St. Pierre.

As for this fight, I find it similar to the GSP/BJ Penn part two fight. Both fighters are so close in talent and ability, the one big factor would be the size factor. GSP wouldn’t be able to utilize the clench at all like he did with BJ Penn, and because of the length and ability for Anderson Silva to move in and out with his punches and change up combinations GSP would have a hard time getting the takedown. This would be an extremely tough fight for GSP, a very hard one for him to win, I wouldn’t see it happening just like everyone else thinks so.