When was Kobe's Prime?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

- Kobe is at the peak of his prime right now. Which is not surprising or unique, most players peak around 28-31.

- Yao's country supports him, who cares.

- There are plenty of "Lakers fans" who did not even like the Lakers until Kobe. I cannot speak about all of them, but the majority i have met are very annoying because of their lack of basketball knowledge or lack of logical reasoning.

I'm not so sure about that. He still dropped 61 on the Knicks, and that was in just 36 minutes, through an injured finger, 31 shots attempted.

Comparing that to the 62 he dropped on Dallas in 32 minutes (back in 2006, when he scored 81), I don't know.

If the Lakers suffered through devastating injuries this season, and Kobe had to give a 70, I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

81 is a different beast. I'm not sure if Kobe or ANYONE in the league right now can replicate something like that, prime or not. Just a special night.

I'm not questioning his ability to score the ball. He still has the ability to be unstoppable in this league on any given night. I'm talking about putting the entire team on his back, being the 1st, 2nd, sometimes even the 3rd option on some nights, averaging 35 ppg just to lead the team into the postseason. Do you think he is still capable of such a feat?

Edited by Himuki

• Owner

- Kobe is at the peak of his prime right now. Which is not surprising or unique, most players peak around 28-31.

- Yao's country supports him, who cares.

- There are plenty of "Lakers fans" who did not even like the Lakers until Kobe. I cannot speak about all of them, but the majority i have met are very annoying because of their lack of basketball knowledge or lack of logical reasoning.

1) My comment about Yao was strictly an example of how ridiculous it was to judge a player based on how many people support him, but I guess that flew way over your head.

2) I started rooting for the Lakers because of Kobe, because I didn't live in or near an NBA city. Plus, I'm the type of guy who doesn't root for a team just because I was born near them, or my family does. I think for myself.

Ironically, the Lakers were a 53-win team when I decided to root for them, and it was pre-Shaq (the night Kobe was drafted and traded), and also pre-Phil. Young Kobe, no Shaq, no Phil, no championships...guess I just knew Bryant was going to turn out to be the best player in the league, and the Lakers would have a dynasty.

And we've already had our share of Heat fans on OTR that lack knowledge of the game. There are a couple that come to mind immediately, and they no longer post here. I'm sure I could go to a Heat message board I used to be affiliates with and find you many, many more. All teams have their share of ignorant fans. It's not my fault the Lakers have 20-25 times the amount of fans as the Heat do.

I'm not questioning his ability to score the ball. He still has the ability to be unstoppable in this league on any given night. I'm talking about putting the entire team on his back, being the 1st, 2nd, sometimes even the 3rd option on some nights, averaging 35 ppg just to lead the team into the postseason. Do you think he is still capable of such a feat?

Well, he didn't get into the playoffs averaging 35, so no. But asking if he could still put out 30 PPG and do it with one legit teammate? Sure...and he could drop 40's and 50's if needed...so that's why I still think Bryant is in his prime.

I think Yugo's point is he claims 999/1,000 of Laker fans are Kobe-first fans, fans who care more about Bryant than the team. I share his revulsion at that but recognize it's a generational thing. I'd also add that the percentage isn't nearly as high as Yugo states, it's just that the Laker fans he's come across are 99% Kobe Kult.

I'm thankful Kobe is a Laker but I don't stop being a Laker fan when Kobe hangs them up. Or lose passion for the team and the game. I think some of the Kobe-first fans would.

...in other words, he's annoying you like you do our Lakers fans.

I dont annoy your Laker fans. I bring em back to reality, Im the voice of the forum when it comes to Laker fans. But the point forward guy annoys everybody he speaks to, didnt you ever see those OMG T-MAC ISNT A POINT FORWARD statement he kept saying for years and it got him banned at like 6+ forums?

I dont annoy your Laker fans. I bring em back to reality, Im the voice of the forum when it comes to Laker fans. But the point forward guy annoys everybody he speaks to, didnt you ever see those OMG T-MAC ISNT A POINT FORWARD statement he kept saying for years and it got him banned at like 6+ forums?

You were the one that kept saying Lakers suck they wont win a championship. Some reality huh :lol:

• Owner

You were the one that kept saying Lakers suck they wont win a championship. Some reality huh :lol:

Haha, really.

Maybe I'll go into the Rockets forum and tell you guys you won't even win 10 games...and I'll do it every new topic created.

2006-2007 was his prime, by far. Without question his best personal season, and if his team had more wins, he would be the MVP easily. the difference now is that he has more experience, but he is worn down. put his 06-07 body in his 09-10 mind, and you get MJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I realized Kobe was truly in his prime when he completely took over one particular game and dropped 81 points.

Kobe was good with Shaq but he really came into his own after Shaq was gone. It says a lot when Kobe can average only 28 ppg and still the Lakers lock up the Western Conference. Kobe on the floor is amazing, obviously, he's a playmaker, a finisher, plays with or w/o the ball. On the sidelines he's definitely the best leader in the game. All the time you see Kobe talking up his team, talking plays and orchestrating.

Put it this way, #24 Kobe = Kobe in his prime.

Edited by Super Cool Beas

I realized Kobe was truly in his prime when he completely took over one particular game and dropped 81 points.

Kobe was good with Shaq but he really came into his own after Shaq was gone. It says a lot when Kobe can average only 28 ppg and still the Lakers lock up the Western Conference. Kobe on the floor is amazing, obviously, he's a playmaker, a finisher, plays with or w/o the ball. On the sidelines he's definitely the best leader in the game. All the time you see Kobe talking up his team, talking plays and orchestrating.

Put it this way, #24 Kobe = Kobe in his prime.

Well before he had Gasol and some good role players he had a bunch of scrubs and did a ton of the work to just win games, I was watching some T-Mac videos today of him having great shooting nights, great passing, etc. It really made go way back thinking, was he really like this because he looks Kobesque sometimes, heart-warming, brah.