Lionel Hollins encourages all players to take shots in Grizzlies' free-flowing offense

La Bomba

The Grizzlies' offense was in high gear when the basketball reached Allen Iverson.

The veteran guard ended his sprint and jumped into a shooting motion for what would have been an open shot. Instead, Iverson fired a pass intended for a streaking Zach Randolph under the basket.

The play resulted in a turnover and Iverson smacked his hands together as if he was providing sign language for what Randolph had to say.

"Shoot that," Randolph told Iverson. "That's your shot."

In truth, Randolph couldn't have summed up any better how Griz coach Lionel Hollins wants to operate offensively.

The Grizzlies intend to play fast this season in a free-flowing system that encourages the open guy to shoot regardless of the name on a jersey.

"It's the way I saw the game as a player," Hollins said. "Every team I played on averaged more than 100 points. I know the league was different then but it's more fun to play that way. Players love to get up and down the court. And when you move the ball, and not rely on one or two guys, everybody has to step up and play to their maximum ability every night."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/02/grizzlies-training-camp-shootaround/