Ellis: Stephen Curry Is 'Better Than I Thought'

Warriors guard Monta Ellis has been surprised by the play of rookie Stephen Curry thus far.

At the start of training camp, Ellis told the media that he didn't believe he and Curry could play on the floor at the same time.

"You can't take anything away from him," Ellis told FanHouse of Curry. "He can shoot, pass, defend, all of that. He's got the whole package. ... He's better than I thought he was."

Golden State coach Don Nelson didn't play Ellis and Curry together against the Clippers on Sunday night. He cited the post-up abilities of Los Angeles guard Baron Davis as his reasoning.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he still feels that way now that it looks like Curry can't get his shots off against NBA defenses.

When he played his first couple of games against the Lakers, he was scoring all over the floor, and he looked really comfortable out there. Has his shot fallen off that quickly, or is it just a problem with the Warriors getting him the ball in his spots?

When he played his first couple of games against the Lakers, he was scoring all over the floor, and he looked really comfortable out there. Has his shot fallen off that quickly, or is it just a problem with the Warriors getting him the ball in his spots?

He shot just 6-22 against the Lakers and is shooting less than 33% this preseason. He shot less than 40% during the summer league, and doesn't appear to be an athletic finisher, or an accurate shooter. Surprisingly, his point guard skills appear to be his best attribute.

Edited by Erick Blasco

He shot just 6-22 against the Lakers and is shooting less than 33% this preseason. He shot less than 40% during the summer league, and doesn't appear to be an athletic finisher, or an accurate shooter. Surprisingly, his point guard skills appear to be his best attribute.

I must have been out of it or something, because I swore he was doing half-decent against us...haha. Do you think Don Nelson's idea of playing them both at the same time is wise, or should he just bring Curry in for Monta and let him run the second unit?

• Owner

Curry will benefit most from playing in the five with Ellis and Jackson (if S-Jax is even there all season). That way, he gets his shots off a bit easier working off of scoring threats.

Otherwise, you stick him in the second unit, and you're essentially making him a primary option out there when Ellis is on the bench, and you'd also be asking him to run the offense, which is a big mistake when breeding your rookie guards.

Curry's shot will come and go this first season, but he'll adjust accordingly and will turn out to be a good player. Not Ray Allen good, or even Ben Gordon good, but more like Mo Williams, who feasts off of LeBron James.

I must have been out of it or something, because I swore he was doing half-decent against us...haha. Do you think Don Nelson's idea of playing them both at the same time is wise, or should he just bring Curry in for Monta and let him run the second unit?

I don't think any aspect of Nelson's gameplan is wise, and having two tiny guards is no exception. They'll get killed defensively in the backcourt, but Nelson doesn't care about that anyway. Off the bench, I'm not sure if Golden state has the talented finishers Curry can set up, nor is Curry good enough to consisently get his own shots off. I don't think Curry will turn out to be that much better than the one or two guys Golden State calls up from the D-League every year that puts up 30 to 40 points in a game.