Rockets have tough decisions to make

Warren2ThaG

Rockets have tough decisions to make

"For a few hours each day, Garrett Temple is an NBA player, free to focus on the usual challenges. But every morning, before he can discipline himself to concentrate on his day and his job, the same worries return.

"When I'm out there, I'm just playing, understanding not to take anything for granted because I'm trying to make this team," Temple said. "But I wake up every morning thinking, 'I need to do what I can to make this team.'"

For the Rockets' four players with non-guaranteed contracts — Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Romel Beck, Will Conroy and Temple — time could be running out to make an impression. The four are competing for one roster spot.

Rockets coach Rick Adelman used last week's back-to-back to give each extended playing time to make his case. Adelman and general manager Daryl Morey said they would meet this week to begin considering how to cut the roster down to size.

"Coach is pretty high on all of them or he would have had us get rid of them by now," Morey said. "The other two years (with Adelman) we've cut guys early. Because they are all doing well, he's wanted to keep them around. I think that's indicative of how hard the choice will be and how well they're doing."

Choices are there

Though obviously a significant decision to the players involved, it could be more crucial to the Rockets than merely determining who will earn a paycheck as the team's 15th player.

Last season, the Rockets pushed the final cut to the deadline, then chose Von Wafer over D.J. Strawberry. Taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity, Wafer had a stunning breakthrough season.

This time, the choices are among very different players at different positions. Mensah-Bonsu is an athletic 6-9 power forward/center. Temple, a strong defensive player, and Beck, a skilled scorer, work as small forwards or shooting guards. Conroy plays the point.

"It (the choice) might end up being a little more position than player," Morey said. "That might feel unfair to some of the players, but it may come down to what position coach feels like we need to have the most depth."

That does not necessarily make the choice easy.

The Rockets have more certainty at point guard — with Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry entrenched rotation players able to handle all the playing time — than in the frontcourt. Coaches, however, typically like to have three point guards available, making Conroy potentially a good fit.

The frontcourt positions have far more players certain to be on the roster. But with Yao Ming out and Joey Dorsey struggling to develop defensively, there is more uncertainty among the center and power players (including Yao) than with the two point guards. It could offer an opening for Mensah-Bonsu.

Deep at guard

Roster spots might be most difficult to earn at shooting guard and small forward, with Trevor Ariza and Shane Battier entrenched as starters, rookies Chase Budinger and Jermaine Taylor certain to claim roster spots and Tracy McGrady expected to return in late November or early December. But while McGrady is rehabilitating his left knee after microfracture surgery in February, Beck or Temple could provide depth.

"In the past, when we only had two point guards, we had Luther Head, who could slide over, or Brent Barry or Tracy McGrady, who could all handle some emergency one duty," Morey said. "I think Chase (Budinger) has that potential, but it's a lot to ask of a rookie to come in and take that role. That's a big argument for Will.

"And then obviously depth at the big (positions) defensively and rebounding, I think Pops gives that.

"If we need wing depth, coach has been very impressed with Romel Beck. And obviously, Garrett Temple's ability to guard multiple positions gives him a leg up in terms of being a little more versatile."

---

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6673108.html