Stephen Jackson: Example Of A Bad Leader

Legacy

I'm not sure what to really think of Stephen. Tim Duncan said that he was the best teammate he ever had, so he can't be all that bad. I could be wrong, but his bad rep seems to be more of an image created by the media than anything else. I don't hear much from his teammates or his coaches. It could just be that he's caught up in a bad situation, and since he's the captain, he's in the middle, and anything he says gets escalated to a bigger deal than it probably is.

I don't follow the Warriors all too much, though. All I can tell is that they seem to have a pretty nice set up of talent clumped together by what seems to be a terrible coach.

I'm not sure what to really think of Stephen. Tim Duncan said that he was the best teammate he ever had, so he can't be all that bad. I could be wrong, but his bad rep seems to be more of an image created by the media than anything else. I don't hear much from his teammates or his coaches. It could just be that he's caught up in a bad situation, and since he's the captain, he's in the middle, and anything he says gets escalated to a bigger deal than it probably is.

I don't follow the Warriors all too much, though. All I can tell is that they seem to have a pretty nice set up of talent clumped together by what seems to be a terrible coach.

You have a lot to learn about Stephen Jackson my friend:

It never ends with Stephen Jackson in Golden State as the Warriors stripped him of his captaincy amidst Jackson doing interview after interview (give the guy that. He is cooperative) about how he still wants out and nothing’s changed. On the surface, Jackson seems ungrateful, but don’t blame Jackson. He’s spent a lifetime as a hustler. So he pretended to cozy up to Warriors chief Robert Rowell, earning himself a huge extension when no one else was bidding for him. So he conned the Warriors. It’s who he’s always been. Don’t blame him for that. The Warriors fell for it. Jackson has had episodes like this his whole career. You deal with him with your eyes open. The Warriors decided he was who they wanted him to be instead of who he was. Their fault. Not his. "If they want to send me home and pay me, I'm fine with that," Jackson said. It’s just Jack.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_091019.html?rss=true

Jackson, who twice this preseason has demanded a trade, hasn't changed his tune, but his relationship with Nelson apparently has taken a turn for the worse. Coming into training camp, Nelson said he understood Jackson and could coach the swingman through his disgruntlement. That's not so believable anymore.

"Anytime somebody takes $150,000 from you, your relationship is going to change, regardless of who it is," Jackson said. "If my mom took some money from me, I'd still love her to death, but I'd still be upset about it. He's not my mom, so you can imagine how I feel. ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/13/SP301A55O5.DTL

Jackson flipped on Friday night in Los Angeles when Nellie let him stay on the floor to pick up five fouls and a technical inside of 10 minutes. Jax was at wit’s end when he started clinging close to Kobe Bryant(notes). One source on the court says Kobe addressed Jax as “Young Fella,” and for some odd reason that pushed Jackson over the edge. Soon, Jackson was cursing Nellie and storming to the locker room on his way to a two-game preseason suspension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-cohanwarriors101209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

There's a lot more and a lot worse said about Jackson, but I don't feel like spending four hours at 2 in the morning looking for it.

From the first two quotes, it just sounds like there is just a bad situation going on. Whether Jackson is the main cause of the problem still isn't clear. It could be the coaching staff and the organization that is causing Jackson to act this way.

It's not too uncommon for players to demand a trade when they don't feel treated right. Kobe demanded a trade when he was stuck playing with Smush and Kwame. At the time, Kobe also had a bad image from the media for being selfish and having a big ego. After getting Pau, his legendary coach back, and the pieces he needed to be a contender once again, his bad image seemed to vanish as LA started becoming a dominant team once again. I'm sure once Jackson is on a winning squad and is in a comfortable situation, his image would change as well. I could be wrong, though.

The third, from an outsider's perspective, shows him not being able to handle his emotions. I doubt calling him "young fellah" can truly make the guy flip out like that, but who knows, maybe he really is THAT sensitive.

So far, I still don't see any evidence to show that Jackson's so called 'bad leadership' is truly behind the Warrior's problems. What we see and hear might just be his reaction from what is going on behind the scenes.

Edited by Poe