Different things for this year

La Bomba

Gay on the block: Rudy Gay posting up often in last Saturday's preseason win over Detroit wasn't a mere coincidence. Hollins used Gay in the post when he took over last season.

The plan is to get the 6-9 small forward more touches down low in order to take advantage of Gay's length.

"He needs to do it more often but it's not always available for him because of the way we run our early offense," Hollins said. "But we'll get him into the post. Last year, that helped his shooting percentage, got him to the free throw line and helped in on the offensive glass as well."

Gay worked on improving his strength and perfecting his touch on a turn-around shot while fading from the block.

"I'm stronger and able to have more body control down low," Gay said. "That's one of the things where working out this summer really helped me out. You know what they say, practice makes perfect."

Pressure cooker: No, the Griz aren't trying to play 48 minutes of hell on defense. But they will apply more pressure than their fans are used to seeing.

"We're going to just pick up man-to-man, full court more," Hollins said. "We're not trying to press. We're just trying to put more pressure on the ball, deny the wings and the elbow. We want to make it tougher for (teams) to get into their offense."

Make it free: Hollins wants to increase the Grizzlies' free throw attempts much like former Griz coach Hubie Brown insisted on in his second season. The mantra is less three-point attempts and more dribble drives in the lane.

"It's an emphasis for sure," Hollins said. "All of our young players shot too many 3-pointers. I'd like to see them attack the basket more and get to the free throw line."

Second-year O.J. Mayo heard the message loud and clear. Mayo knows he didn't earn enough trips to the foul line last season. He wants to be a poster child for free throw attempts.

"I feel like I got stronger and worked on my balance to be able to accept more contact," Mayo said. "We've worked so hard in practice that sometimes my legs aren't there. But once my legs are there and the shot is falling, it'll open up other options as far as getting to the (rim) and getting to the free-throw line."

Last season, the Griz averaged 25 free throw shots a game. They are averaging 31 during this preseason.

Hustle and flow: The Grizzlies are built to feed the post more than they have been since Pau Gasol's departure. Still, the intention is to generate transition offense at every opportunity.

Hollins prefers that the team earns defensive stops and rebounds, and not have to look to the bench for instructions on the break.

"We are running better than we did last year," Hollins said. "That's what we want to do. But we want to be smart. We don't want to throw the ball all over the court. I thought, last game (Saturday against Detroit), our turnovers were OK with how we get got up and down the court. There are situations where we have to make better decisions but it was much better overall."

So long, Phoenix Four: Former Griz coach Marc Iavaroni worked hard at trying to develop Gay into the mold of Shawn Marion -- an undersized but difficult-to-deal-with power forward. Memphis is moving away from that philosophy.

The Grizzlies have worked just as hard at developing depth. The team that started three rookies last year has three rookies this season, and each of them will play off the bench. That includes DeMarre Carroll, who is the third string power forward when Darrell Arthur is healthy.

"Any way I can help the team, that's what I'll do," Gay said. "But, yeah, it seems like I'll play a lot more at (small forward)."

Mr. Hustle revisited: Some people in these parts still believe that Shane Battier is one of a kind. There never will be another Battier in a Grizzlies uniform.

Well, Carroll may change that notion on and off the court before his rookie campaign is complete.

Is he the new Battier?

"He's in that mold," Hollins said. "He's a hustle player. He may be a little more athletic. He doesn't shoot as well as Shane. But they both have that dive-on-the-floor, take-charges and do-the-little-things attitude that help teams win."

Iverson to start season as reserve

Veteran guard Allen Iverson will start the regular season as a reserve when the Grizzlies host the Detroit Pistons Oct. 28 in their home opener.

Iverson, 34, has missed the entire preseason schedule because of a partially torn left hamstring. He hasn't participated in training camp practices since Oct. 4.

Griz coach Lionel Hollins said there is no choice but to gradually work in Iverson.

"He hasn't had a chance to perform," Hollins said. "And when he does come back he'll be way behind with how we're doing things. So when he gets into a game, it'll be limited. That's probably where we'll wind up at the start of the season."

Iverson still hasn't been cleared for contact workouts.

There had much public debate over whether Iverson would start or come off the bench for the Grizzlies. The former scoring champion is entering his 14th season and first with the Griz after signing a one-year deal worth slightly more than $3 million.

He's remained visible while rehabbing the injury, still acting as a vocal leader for the team.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/20/dressed-for-success/

Edited by Poohdini