Memphis football coaching candidates

La Bomba

I know no one cares about Memphis football, but...

It really doesn't seem like Tommy West will be back next season and I've been looking around the web and these look like the possible canidates.

Former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden

Current North Alabama coach Terry Bowden

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson

Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix

Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn

Arkansas assistant John L. Smith

Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville

I would love to see Tommy T, but he isn't really Memphis material if you ask me. He deserves to be in a big name program. I heard Phillip Fulmer's name too, but I just see him staying in retirment, plus Memphis and Tennessee are pretty big basketball rivals.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Tyrone Nix or Tommy Bowden.

TERRY BOWDEN: Once the star up-and-comer at Auburn, where he won national coach of the year honors in 1993, Bowden fell out of favor and was gone by 1998. He moved on to broadcasting and this year took the head coaching job at North Alabama, a Division 2 powerhouse that is 10-0. Is he ready to step back up to Division 1? WIll his name still mean something?

GUS MALZAHN: Wasn't that long ago that Malzahn was a high school coach in Arkansas. He joined Houston Nutt's Arkansas staff after the 2005 season, along with several of his Springdale High School stars (including QB Mitch Mustain). The Arkansas job didn't last long. After 2006, he left to go to Tulsa and then this season joined Gene Chizik on the rebuilt Auburn staff. When the Tigers opened up with an explosive offense, his name started drawing attention for future openings. But that has died down some (along with the Auburn offense). If you're of the mind the Tigers need to promote a good college assistant, is Malzahn the guy to turn to? He has the reputation of being a good offensive mind.

HUGH FREEZE: He's well known in Memphis from his successful coaching days at Briarcrest Christian. He moved on to Ole Miss as a staff administrator and then on-field coach and now heads up the Lambuth program, where he is 9-0 this season. Is Freeze someone you would get excited about?

TOMMY TUBERVILLE/PHIL FULMER: Putting these guys as an entry, not because they would come together, but because they probably wouldn't be that interested in going to a non-BCS program after years of playing in the SEC. The question about them: If you could get one of them to come, do you think they'd have the necessary energy to get the program going in the right direction?

LARRY PORTER: He ranks in the top 10 in Memphis career rushing yards. Now he's in his fifth season at LSU where he serves as running backs coach and assistant head coach. He's been with LSU coach Les Miles for eight years now (three at Oklahoma State before moving to LSU). He knows the area and he has big-time experience with winning programs. How important is having a Tiger lineage?

DEREK DOOLEY: Son of longtime Georgia coach Vince Dooley, Derek is in his third year running the program at Louisiana Tech. Tech is 3-5 this year after going 13-12 in his first two seasons. Before taking over at Louisiana Tech, Dooley spent time as an assistant in the SEC and the NFL. How would he play in Memphis?

http://www.thememphisedge.com/

Tommy West got fired today. Dan Wolken, the Tigers beat reporter, said on Twitter that Malzahn won't likely take it, so Charlie Strong is the most realistic choice. Also hearing Larry Porter's name more and more, although I think he would be better suited as a OC, which he wouldn't leave LSU for.

Tommy Bowden is good if you are not ranked, when you are they play like crap. So maybe being undr even less pressure for football might be good for him. He is a great recruiter though (see CJ Spiller) so he would definitely help out Memphis.

The more I read, the more his name comes up. The has a shady past but it's worth the risk IMO.

Here's another list I found:

1. Terry Bowden(North Alabama Head Coach)- Bowden has proven this season that after taking 10 years off from coaching that he still has it. His North Alabama football team is currently 9-0 and in position to challenge for a Division II National Championship. Bowden left with some baggage while at Auburn, but did have a good record there. At Auburn Bowden went 47-17-1, the best season being an 11-0 year in 1993. Hiring Bowden would give Memphis national attention right away. The school has proven with the hiring of John Calipari that it isn't afraid to take a high profile coach with a questionable past.

2. Gunter Brewer(Oklahoma State OC)- Brewer is the son of longtime Ole Miss head coach Billy Brewer. Since 2005 Brewer has been a member of the high profile Oklahoma State offensive attack. In his career he has coached high profile WRs like Dez Bryant and Randy Moss. Last season the OSU offense ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring and total offense.

3. Derek Dooley(Head Coach Louisiana Tech)- The son of former Georgia coach Vince Dooley and the nephew of Bill Dooley, Derek Dooley is in his 3rd season with Louisiana Tech. Last season the Bulldogs won their first bowl game in 31 years. Dooley was the recruiting coordinator for LSU under Nick Saban and followed Saban to the NFL serviing as a position coach. The question will be is Memphis a better job than Louisiana Tech? The Tigers do play in a larger stadium and in a larger city, plus the conference travel isn't as brutal in CUSA as it is in the WAC for LT. Dooley also could be a candidate at Virginia, the place he graduated from.

4. Phillip Fulmer(Former Tennessee Head Coach)- Fulmer has already stated that he was ready to take another coaching job and has several interested assistants in joining him. Fulmer went 152-52 as the Vols head coach from 1992-2008. In 1998 Fulmer led Tennessee to the national championship. His 2007 team was his most recent to win the SEC East. Certainly the man knows the state and has plenty of experience in recruiting the Memphis area. It isn't likely Fulmer is going to get a big job offer this season and a job like Memphis could be perfect for Phil.

5. Gus Malzahn(Auburn Offensive Coordinator)- Few have done more in college football in such a short time than Malzahn. This season Malzahn's offense at Auburn leads the SEC in several offensive catagories and he has helped the Tigers improve from 5-7 in 08 to 7-3 in 09. The past 2 seasons Malzahn led the #1 offense in the country(in total yards) at Tulsa. Last season the Golden Hurricane had their first 11 win season in school history. In 2006 Rivals named Malzahn the top offensive coordinator in college football after leading Arkansas to a SEC West Championship. Malzahn is a fantastic recruiter and has proven he can land big time recruits out of the bordering state of Arkansas. Just last week Malzahn landed 5 star RB Michael Dyer out of Little Rock.

6. Tyrone Nix(Defensive Coordinator Ole Miss)- Nix is in is 2nd season as the Rebels DC. From 2005-2007 he was the DC for Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks. Nix knows Memphis and Conference USA very well. Nix was a player at Southern Miss from 90-93 and served on Jeff Bower's staff from 95-2004. He seems to have a love for the area and does have a desire to be a head coach someday. This season the Rebs are only allowing 17 points per game. This could be a great starting point for Nix.

7. Ed Orgeron(DL Coach Tennessee)- It has already been stated that Memphis is looking for a man that can attract recruits. Well, there might not be a better recruiter in the country than Ed Orgeron. Orgeron landed top classes at Southern Cal as an assistant and then took his work to Ole Miss. As the Rebels head man, Ed Orgeron didn't have a fantastic record, but some believe that he is responsible for Houston Nutt's great turn around in 2008. There is no doubt the man can recruit and there is no doubt he knows the area very well. Question is can the man become a great head coach if given more than 3 seasons? It would be fun to see what song Chris Vernon of 730 KQPN out of Memphis would come up with if Ed O were hired.

8. Larry Porter(LSU Runningbacks Coach)- Porter was as standout Memphis Running Back and graduated from the school in 1996. Porter has been on LSU's staff for 5 seasons and was with Les Miles for 3 seasons at Oklahoma State. Twice under Porter the Tigers have had 1,000 yard rusher(Charles Scott in 08 and Jacob Hester in 07). 2 of his backs (Hester and Joseph Addai) have been selected in the NFL draft. Martin was also RB coach at Arkansas State and Tennessee Martin prior to joining Les Miles at OSU

9. Charlie Strong(Defensive Coordinator Florida)- This would be a homerun hire for Memphis if they could pull it off. There isn't a coordinator in college football with a better resume than Strong, but AD's have stayed away from him. Strong has won 2 national championships as an assistant and has coached under Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, and Lou Holtz. He has served as DC at South Carolina and as an assistant at Notre Dame and Texas A&M. Strong is an Arkansas native, so he would be close to home if he were to take the job.

10. Brent Venables(Defensive Coordinator Oklahoma)- Venables name has been mentioned in several coaching searches over the last few seasons. Venables has been a finalist for the Broyles award and has been on staff with Bob Stoops at OU for 11 seasons. He played under Bill Snyder at Kansas State, a program that in the last 15 years has produced several head coaches.

http://www.dixiefriedsports.com/Memphis_Coach_Search.html

Bud Foster, Virgina Tech defensive coordinator, said he may be interested in the job. Gus Malzahn said he's flattered that his name is being mentioned, along with the WKU job. Malzahn is my first choice out of everyone we're considering. I think it'll be huge if we land him.

Also saw Lou Holtz's name on some blog, but it didn't look very reliable.

LOL @ Charlie Strong. No chance of him going to Memphis. Strong stays in the SEC or goes to UVA. Personally I think he ends up at UVA.

I didn't say that. That was a journalist for the Commercial Appeal.

I've heard Phillip Fulmer's name for the UVA job.

I didn't say that. That was a journalist for the Commercial Appeal.

I've heard Phillip Fulmer's name for the UVA job.

If UVA is smart they'll give that job to Strong. If he can be a good gameday coach that school will become a powerhouse because the man is a monster recruiter.

Great location for recruiting and a tremendous education would get a lot of parents on his side.

Memphis interviews Eddie Gran, Tennessee RB coach.

If you want a great recruiter then he definitely fits the criteria. I just think its going to be hard recruiting in C-USA though. Its tough to get kids who have offers from schools in the Pac 10, SEC, ACC etc do go to a C-USA school.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis joins the Big East or the Big 12 within the next few years, that idea has been tossed around a lot lately, more than usual. Memphis should be getting guys that can't make it to the SEC, but are still quality, D1 players. There is plenty of talent around the Memphis area.

Edited by Poohdini

Well I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis joins the Big East or the Big 12 within the next few years, that idea has been tossed around a lot lately, more than usual. Memphis should be getting guys that can't make it to the SEC, but are still quality, D1 players. There is plenty of talent around the Memphis area.

That is what they need but on field production needs to be consistent in order for that to happen. I think the Big East is a good fit for them. I think the Big 12 would be a stretch.

If Memphis can put together 2 6-7 win season then I definitely see them moving to a bigger conference. As far as recruiting, they'll have a ton of competition from other school in the Memphis area. UT, Texas, LSU, WVU and especially Miami all recruit the Memphis area effectively. Like I said earlier, it all comes down to on field production for a program like Memphis.

I'd give Trooper Taylor a look as well. Eddie Gran, Trooper Taylor or maybe even Phil Fulmer.

According to the newspaper, it's down to Jim Gray of the Washington Redskins, ex-Clemson coach and Larry Porter, LSU running backs coach. Out of the two I'll take Porter because he's a UofM alum and he's a good recruiter. Of course, recruiting at Memphis is not like recruiting at LSU.