***Official Marijuana reform thread***

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- California’s Assembly will consider lifting its 96-year-old ban on marijuana, decriminalizing the drug and taxing it like alcohol, as the state seeks ways out of its worst financial crisis since World War II.

The Assembly’s Public Safety Committee will discuss the social, fiscal and legal implications of legalizing and regulating marijuana in Sacramento today, said Quintin Mecke, a spokesman for Assemblyman Tom Ammiano.

It would be the first time the issue has been considered by the Legislature since the ban on marijuana use went into effect in 1913, according to a statement from the San Francisco Democrat.

“It is time to take our heads out of the sand and start to regulate this $14 billion industry,” Ammiano said in the statement. “By doing so, we can enact smart public policy that will bring much-needed revenue into the state and improve public safety by utilizing our limited law enforcement resources more wisely. The move toward regulation is simply common sense.”

Ammiano introduced Assembly Bill 390 in February. If passed, it would add $1.34 billion to California’s annual revenue based on sales tax and a $50-an-ounce excise levy, according to the state’s tax administrator, the Board of Equalization.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2dVAWr7p7lk

Hope it happens soon, so Texas can at least decriminalize regular and legalize medical.

ZOMG THEY CANT DO THAT. Getting high is bad and should be illegal, shame shame shame California. Cops need to keep doing what they are doing, forget about all the criminals and murderers and just go find the dude sellin pot or find some kids smokin it. This world would be a much better place if cops could stop people from gettin high!

• Like 2

ZOMG THEY CANT DO THAT. Getting high is bad and should be illegal, shame shame shame California. Cops need to keep doing what they are doing, forget about all the criminals and murderers and just go find the dude sellin pot or find some kids smokin it. This world would be a much better place if cops could stop people from gettin high!

lol.

Its a move the state needs to make, the drug is so easy to acquire now that having a ban on it is practically useless. I don't like marijuana, but its better for the state to capitalize on the money instead of drug dealers and criminals.

Its a move the state needs to make, the drug is so easy to acquire now that having a ban on it is practically useless. I don't like marijuana, but its better for the state to capitalize on the money instead of drug dealers and criminals.

Well, you obviously havent tried it but legalizing marijuana brings only positives.

America, which has the biggest crime rates in the world (with 700+ people in jail for every 100,000 people), jails would benefit from legalizing it. They spend millions of tax money keeping people in jails for minor drug offenses which could room violent criminals who dont deserve to be with society. Profits also are a good idea to legalize it. Weed also isnt addictive and it has killed 0 people in history.

Well, you obviously havent tried it but legalizing marijuana brings only positives.

America, which has the biggest crime rates in the world (with 700+ people in jail for every 100,000 people), jails would benefit from legalizing it. They spend millions of tax money keeping people in jails for minor drug offenses which could room violent criminals who dont deserve to be with society. Profits also are a good idea to legalize it. Weed also isnt addictive and it has killed 0 people in history.

Of course I haven't tried it, I don't like smoking.

You cant say you dont like something until you try it :)

I grew up with moderate asthma, and not being able to breathe sucks. A lot. And when I got sick, there was a good chance I could/would get bronchitis.

Needless to say, I have no interest in smoking.

• Like 1

I grew up with moderate asthma, and not being able to breathe sucks. A lot. And when I got sick, there was a good chance I could/would get bronchitis.

Needless to say, I have no interest in smoking.

http://www.americaanonymous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/pot_brownies.jpg

;)

• Like 2

I don't enjoy being tied up, gagged, and raped by a gang of elephants. But, I've never tried it.

Hahaha trojan makes me laugh. But anyway I think this would be a good decision for money purposes and it would keep a lot of crime off of the streets and keep innocent people from getting thrown in jail for something that doesn't even harm anyone.

Nahh you can drive while you are high, its not bad at all. Testing for it would be pointless.

From experience, I can say that I drive better while high (no joke), ive done it 9-10 times before and you are actually more concentrated. But when it was dark as heck, I didnt see where I was going, that happens sometimes, where you look at the road but cant see crap.

• 2 weeks later...

The American Medical Association Reconsiders Marijuana. Will the Justice Department Follow?

Yet despite how the culture around pot has changed, defenders of the current federal policy have clung to a prominent, and trusted, ally to back them: the American Medical Association, which the justice department often cites when enforcing marijuana policy.

So it it might have come as a surprise on Tuesday when the AMA announced that, after 72 years, it was reversing its pot policy—and urged the federal government to do the same. Precipitated by a similar decision by the group’s Medical Student Section, the AMA resolved that “that marijuana’s status as a federal Schedule 1 controlled substance be reviewed,” with the goal of facilitating clinical research, and presented a new medical report, conducted by its Council on Science and Public Health, laying out the drug’s various medical benefits.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/11/13/the-american-medical-association-reconsiders-marijuana-will-the-justice-department-follow-no.aspx

In a few years, we could just get a federal legalization of medical weed.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

i dont get why marijuana is illegal but alcohol and cigarettes are legal. the only thing i can think of is that you can drink casually and not get drunk, but you cant (and wouldnt) smoke and not get high

Actually marijuana is illegalized due to racism believe it or not, or at least thats one of the reasons why.

Harry J. Anslinger, he was one of the main guys at the Bureau of Narcotics, he is one of the reasons why its banned federally, and look at some of his quotes

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

Marijuana being illegal is one of the most retarded things in society today, it being illegal is nonsense and I am glad that so much support for it's legalization is growing, the fact that medical will also be legal federally along with its decriminlization.