Agent: Rudy Gay will not re-sign with Memphis Grizzlies before deadline

La Bomba

Fourth-year forward Rudy Gay will not sign a contract extension with the Grizzlies before the NBA’s 10:59 p.m. CST deadline, according to his agent Jeff Austin.

Both parties have broken off negotiations. Barring a dramatic turn of events, Gay will become a restricted free agent next summer.

“We’ve agreed to not agree,” Austin said. “It will not happen. We looked at different ways we might try to get something done and we weren’t able to agree.”

Austin wouldn’t say how far apart the sides are but re-iterated that his client is comfortable with the outcome.

“We didn’t make a deal. Whether you’re $10 off or $100 million off, if you can’t make a deal it’s irrelevant,” Austin said. “We never agreed on a deal so obviously we weren’t close.”

Austin disputed the salary figures that have been reported. He called some of the speculation “absurd” as it relates to what Gay asked for.

“A lot of numbers I’ve read I’m trying to figure out where they come from,” Austin said of reports that Gay sought a five-year deal worth $50-$60 million.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/02/agent-rudy-gay-will-not-re-sign-memphis-grizzlies-/

If he is going to ask for that money, I'd rather let him walk and draft Xavier Henry...or sign LeBron. :D