Jose Calderon silences critics

headliner

Calderon made 2-of-4 three-pointers he took but it was his actions, rather than his shots, that spoke volumes. He was animated and aggressive and when he goaded New Orleans' Chris Paul into a travelling turnover in the game-changing third quarter, he got up, screamed, pumped his fists and it felt like he was giving a big "take that" to the critics.

"That was just Jose, I thought his energy level was excellent," said coach Jay Triano. "He hasn't been playing well and he knows it, but it's not like we're going to bench him. He's a guy who's going to be a big part of our team.

"He doesn't like a lot of the things that have been written about him ... he takes it to heart and I thought he came out and did an excellent job."

THE STAR

Hope Calderon can silences some of the nay sayers permanently.

I'm not lying, or off base IMO, to say that Bargnani is as good a free throw shooter as Jose.

Jose said it himself that last year will be impossible to replicate, he is a good FT shooter but not that good. Not as if it matters since he only gets to the line 2-3 times a game anyways.

You’re probable right Andrea is just as good of a free throw shooter. This team is a very good free throw shooting team but thus far they haven’t been shooting that well from the free throw line. The raptors are shooting about 75% from the line which isn’t bad but it could be better. More importantly they’ve been getting to the line a lot more so far this season.

Meanwhile CP3 was 21 and 18 8-13 from the field with 1 or 2 turnovers, don't remember. He's a good fantasy PG but I don't seem him as a top all around PG in the NBA, he's nice don't get me wrong. However, probably not in my top 10.

I assume Jose is the one not in your top 10?

Well let's see

1. CP3

2. Deron

3. Chauncey

4. Nash

5. Parker

6. Rondo

7. Rose

8. Calderon

So I was wrong he would be im top 10, if we aren't Calling Wade, Roy, and Joe Johnson PG's. I just wish he was a better defender and a bit more offensive minded.

Well let's see

1. CP3

2. Deron

3. Chauncey

4. Nash

5. Parker

6. Rondo

7. Rose

8. Calderon

So I was wrong he would be im top 10, if we aren't Calling Wade, Roy, and Joe Johnson PG's. I just wish he was a better defender and a bit more offensive minded.

Are you talking about fantasy numbers?

I was confused by your wording, thought you might have meant Paul was not in your top 10, lol. I would completely understand if Jose was not in your top 10, he might not even be in my top 10. I was one of the Raptor fans jocking him prior to last year, but I saw the light last year, he is not a great PG just solid at best.

• Owner

Well, I'm thinking the critics are more focused on his defense than anything else, and Calderon doesn't play defense.

Energy is a big part of it, yes...and when he does put energy and effort into his defense, he's okay...but that doesn't make him good at that end of the court. A lot of players can be "okay" defensive players at times, as long as they put 100% into their game, but Calderon isn't a physical defender, nor a fast one or smart help defender, so the problem isn't exactly his efforts, just his overall skill.

Well, I'm thinking the critics are more focused on his defense than anything else, and Calderon doesn't play defense.

Energy is a big part of it, yes...and when he does put energy and effort into his defense, he's okay...but that doesn't make him good at that end of the court. A lot of players can be "okay" defensive players at times, as long as they put 100% into their game, but Calderon isn't a physical defender, nor a fast one or smart help defender, so the problem isn't exactly his efforts, just his overall skill.

Exactly.

I don't think that anybody that watches Jose Calderon thought that he wouldn't get his shot back or start playing solid offensively. Calderon is one of the better shooting point guards in the NBA and is a good offensive guard as well and it was just a matter of time before he bounced back.

As a Jose Calderon critic he won't silence me until he manages to not be a complete liability on the defensive floor. I know that he will never become a good defender, or even an average defender, because he simply lacks the laterall quickness, general defensive awareness and defensive instincts, but people will harp on him until he manages to find a way to at least contribute defensively. Even Steve Nash, who is a slightly better man to man defender than Calderon, chips in every now and then with a steal or a drawn charge. This is what I want to see Jose do because obviously he won't be stopping anybody.

One thing though RD, even when Calderon puts in energy and effort into his defense, he is still terrible. I honestly don't think that effort or energy has ever been a problem with Calderon defensively, he just simply doesn't have any sort of defensive skills, like you touched upon.

• Owner

Well, the "every now and then" part is what I was hitting on. ;)

Same story with Smush Parker when he was in Los Angeles. He could steal the ball, but asking him to stay in front of his man was like asking Eddy Curry to break Dwyane Wade's ankles.

I like Calderon as a player a lot but I’m finding it hard to defend him when it comes to the issue of his defence. Offense is his strength and he may never be a good man on ball defender but I think he can improve on his team defence. Guarding the point guard position is tough for most players in the league because most point guards are very fast so it’s hard to keep most point guard in front.