Hansbrough makes Pacers debut

Dash

The debut of F Tyler Hansbrough was a story for the Indiana Pacers Friday.

But as Pacers coach Jim O'Brien saw it, it was far from the only story of a 102-86 victory over the Washington Wizards in front of 14,556 at Conseco Fieldhouse.

And it may not have been the most important story.

Hansbrough, the No. 13 overall selection in the 2009 NBA Draft, played his first game after missing the first four -- not to mention training camp and preseason -- with a shin issue that dated to his senior season at the University of North Carolina. But as O'Brien saw it, a bigger key may have been the Pacers' defense.

Hansbrough's presence may not have been a problem-solving situation, but it certainly provided the story of the night, and potentially a glimpse of the future.

"We had all been waiting to see Tyler play," Granger said. "We've seen him play in practice and know how aggressive he is. They got a taste of it tonight. It was a lot of fun. . . .

“He's so physical, he's one of those guys you definitely want on your team."

Hansbrough was limited in his first appearance, playing 13:49. Still, in that time he showed much of the energy that made him of the nation's top collegians the last four seasons.

“Tyler was tough,” O'Brien said. “It was about what I expected. He was a little rusty in some areas, but he'll attack offensively and defensively.”

Said Hansbrough, “I had a couple of jitters it being my first time on the NBA stage. I just tried to get into the flow of the game.”

Hansbrough shot 3 of 7 from the floor and 7 of 10 from the free-throw line. He also had five rebounds.

“I didn't know what to expect,” Hansbrough said. “It was kind of a reality check – you know, 'I'm out here, finally.' I just went out and played my game. I played well. I didn't do my best, but I sure tried.”

The Pacers, after losses in their first three games, won their second in succession by taking a four-point lead after the first quarter and extending it to 14 late in the second. Hansbrough led the Pacers with seven third-quarter points as they pushed the lead to 82-65.

Link

I was one of the many who doubted Hansbrough but he looked solid. Finished the night with 13 points and 5 rebounds. In 13 minutes that is spectacular production.

His upside isn't be there which is why I was surprised to see him go in the lotto with how much stock is put into age and upside these days, but he will always be on an NBA team. The kid is a winner and will do whatever it takes, seems like he will be a great hustle guy/role player down the road.

You know what you get with Hansbrough, which is not a bad thing.