Is JJ Hickson starting the answer?

JJ Hickson isn't good just yet, but starting him allows Anderson Verajao to add some much needed energy off the bench which would help Z more as Z and JJ coming off the bench is a bad fit.

JJ can be very sloppy and jumpy but I think he's got the work ethic to be a solid independent starter and a good role player. Verajao has had a fantastic start, so keeping him on the bench allows Mike to have more to work with when LeBron, Shaq, or Mo is out.

I like this move.....will this be the answer to the offensive struggles?

No, you need someone to stretch the floor. Z should be starting, Shaq should be getting his minutes while LeBron is on the bench, he completely ruins any flow to their offense. Z and Andy would clear the paint for LeBron and Z can stretch the D with his mid range jumper. Just go back to the old line up with Shaq as the 6th man.

JJ should be in the D-League developing his game, not getting minutes on a championship squad. You know times are bad when the question 'Is JJ the answer' is asked lmao.

Edited by travesy3

• Owner

There's no way Shaq comes off the bench. He may say he is willing to, but his play will drop off the map, eventually.

The Cavaliers need to stick LeBron at power forward. Sounds crazy, but if you're going to have Shaq in, you play LeBron at the four, so he can bounce out of position to defend the pick and roll that Shaq takes ten seconds to recognize.

JJ Hickson is your other option there, though, because he's faster at recovering on those pick and rolls.

• Owner

Starting LeBron at the 4 isn't a bad idea.. He'd be a big help defensively in the front court and would create huge mismatches on the offensive end, plus help space things for Shaq.

That, and not to mention he's big enough to hold his own in the post. Charles Barkley was 6-6, 252 pounds. LeBron is 6-8, 260+ pounds, three times more muscle.

LeBron shouldn't be starting at PF, I don't mind him logging minutes there but he shouldn't be playing there for 30 minutes a game. Don't mind him there vs a PF like Dirk or Bosh who doesn't bang it but he is going to expend way too much energy trying to defend the post each play. Him at PF would be ideal if they are trying to run the floor and push the ball.

How would Shaq on the bench not work? I think he would be more effective getting the ball when LeBron isn't out there, I feel like LBJ feels obligated to throw it down to him but really doesn't want to. Going back to the old lineup from last year with Shaq on the bench is ideal because they could cut LeBron's minutes. I just don't think these two can be on the floor together because how much they command the ball and how much of the paint the each need. Shaq disrupts the entire flow to the offense, although I do agree with you a bit because the Cavs are definitely more successful when they go small.

Either way, this team needs to make trades because lineup adjustments won't fix this, I don't think they can win with this squad, there shouldn't be this many problems or questions with a team trying to contend, I don't imagine they will 'work out the kinks' either. Of course I could be wrong but I don't think they are [expletive]ing with the Celtics or Magic.

• Owner

Well, my point was, even if Shaq does agree to come off the bench and the Cavaliers decide not to play LeBron and Shaq together as much...you'll be cutting LBJ's minutes, or playing Shaq 20 minutes per game.

If you play LeBron less, you lose more.

If you play Shaq less, you're going to piss him off. 25-26 minutes is fine. 20 minutes or less, you're leaving him out an extra half a quarter, and knowing that LeBron will need to play a lot of the fourth, Shaq's playing time will be limited quite a bit, probably more of him sustaining leads, rather than creating them.

At that point, you risk injury to Shaq.

I don't even think this trade was a good idea to begin with. I never supported this trade or the Shaq trade to Phoenix, mainly because he doesn't belong in either offense.

LeBron shouldn't be starting at PF, I don't mind him logging minutes there but he shouldn't be playing there for 30 minutes a game. Don't mind him there vs a PF like Dirk or Bosh who doesn't bang it but he is going to expend way too much energy trying to defend the post each play. Him at PF would be ideal if they are trying to run the floor and push the ball.

How would Shaq on the bench not work? I think he would be more effective getting the ball when LeBron isn't out there, I feel like LBJ feels obligated to throw it down to him but really doesn't want to. Going back to the old lineup from last year with Shaq on the bench is ideal because they could cut LeBron's minutes. I just don't think these two can be on the floor together because how much they command the ball and how much of the paint the each need. Shaq disrupts the entire flow to the offense, although I do agree with you a bit because the Cavs are definitely more successful when they go small.

Either way, this team needs to make trades because lineup adjustments won't fix this, I don't think they can win with this squad, there shouldn't be this many problems or questions with a team trying to contend, I don't imagine they will 'work out the kinks' either. Of course I could be wrong but I don't think they are [expletive]ing with the Celtics or Magic.

I think it's a bit early in the season to turn to trading like it's a last option. At least TRY adjusting the line up before making any big moves.

And there is no way Shaq will ever be coming off the bench. There are a lot of players in the league that have a hard time accepting that their getting old, and Shaq, one of the greatest centers of all time, is one of them. With an ego as big as his, he'd rather be traded than accept a bench role.

Also, I don't see how simply starting LeBron at PF would be a setback in any way. He's definitely strong enough and athletic enough to more than hold his own against just about any PF in the league defensively. And like I said, even though he can match up with any PF on the defensive end, he'd be a matchup nightmare offensively for anyone playing in that position. Coaches would be pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to defend a situation like this. Plus, LeBron would be a much better compliment to Shaq than Varejao.

Also, LeBron doesn't even have to play PF the whole game - just while Shaq is on the floor at the same time. When Shaq comes out, put big Z at the center position, Varejao at PF, and LeBron back to SF, and it'll be back to a similar line up to the best record in the league they had last year.

Like I said LeBron playing PF is okay if the matchups are appropriate, if I am the owner I don't want my franchise player banging down low with PF's like KG and that. I am not saying they HAVE to trade now, but I think it is inevitable that they will eventually.

Real Deal I disagree that this was a bad deal all together, regardless Shaq is an upgrade over big ben, and both are expiring which means that Shaq's contract is equally as useful to trade, this trade wasn't just low risk it was no risk because if they wanted they could deal Shaq's contract the same way they would have Ben's.

Shaq off the bench isn't ideal, but I think it is the best thing to try at least, he says he wants to get LBJ a ring? Well take a back seat for once big fella, I have hated Shaq since watching basketball and nothing makes me happier then seeing him fail, but I hate that he is potentially ruining a chance at LeBron of winning a ring because I want LeBron to start his legacy and get a ring asap.

Also Shaq doesn't belong in the Cavs offense? :lol: you mean the stand and watch the king offense? If so I agree.

I think the problem with the Cavs right now is they don't have an identity, I don't know what kind of team they are trying to be. I also think their coach is terribly overrated.

Edited by travesy3

Like I said LeBron playing PF is okay if the matchups are appropriate, if I am the owner I don't want my franchise player banging down low with PF's like KG and that. I am not saying they HAVE to trade now, but I think it is inevitable that they will eventually.

How often does KG actually go and work in the low post? He is a high post/mid range jump shooter on offense for the most part. Even when he does go down into the post and work from there, more often then not, he will use finesse moves over power moves. His post game consists mainly of his unstoppable turn around. Its not like he is just going to back you down and try to over power you down there. He is not that kind of player.

I honestly think that LeBron would be able to outpower KG in the post, or at least match him. Garnett is not a low post banger at all.

Bad example there.

I am all for the idea of starting LeBron at the four. When West comes back (is he back yet? I haven't followed the Cavs at all this year) throw out a lineup of Williams/West/Parker/James/Shaq to start the game. It would create all sorts of mismatches for the Cavs on offense, space the floor for Shaq down low and it would space the floor more for James as well. Defensively there really aren't many power forwards in the game today that I would be worried about LeBron guarding. He has the size, strength and athleticism to match up with 90% of the leagues power forwards if you ask me. Even if James is overmatched one night on defense, the mismatch that he would have on the offensive end of the floor would be twice as bad.

Once you take Shaq out of the game put in the more traditional lineup with James at the 3 and Varejao and Ilgauskas at the 4 and 5 respectively.

I would at least give this lineup a try. If it doesn't work out, no harm done really. If it does work out it could potentially give the Cavs the offensive spark that they need. It is a low risk-high reward move in my opinion.