DJ Mbenga's play so far

Real Deal

• Owner

Dude is playing really good, just recorded his first double-double of his career last night, also, with 10 points, 12 rebounds, and an additional four blocks.

He hasn't shot the ball well in two of the games he's played in, but he shot 5-9 last night.

But check out these numbers on the glass:

vs. NOH - 4 OFF, 8 DEF, 12 REB in 30 MIN

vs. MEM - 5 OFF, 8 DEF, 13 REB in 30 MIN

He also had four blocks in both of those games, seven blocks against Denver in the preseason.

http://2.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kstnxhjI7t1qzb7vjo1_500.jpg

I gotta say, I never thought of the guy to be any good until he was picked up by the Lakers. He's played great off the bench when called upon on the defensive end. That's all you need from a guy like him, especially when you have players on the 2nd unit that can score as well. I would say he's kind of a poor mans Ben Wallace, great defender, offensive liability.

Like I hear Jeff Van Gundy or Marc Jackson once say, he is a great third string center.

But this also happened with Josh Powell last year. When Bynum was out, Powell stepped up and people were starting to say that he is better than Ronny Turiaf. Right now, Mbenga is going through the same thing. Don't expect him to play great when Gasol and Bynum get back because I think he can only be this productive if he gets consistent minutes.

he's actually just a little better than i expected him to be with the playing time, never really had filed him into my garbage category because i hadn't seen enough of him...i was figuring there was some reason the team continued to hold onto the guy

Edited by Game505