McGrady planning November 18 return

Dash

After eight months of rehabilitation on his surgically repaired left knee, Tracy McGrady(notes) has told Yahoo! Sports he plans to return to the Houston Rockets’ lineup on Nov. 18.

After several league sources informed Yahoo! Sports of McGrady’s timetable, the seven-time All-Star forward confirmed he planned to make his season debut against the Minnesota Timberwolves in Minneapolis next week.

“Excited to get back and compete at a high level again,” McGrady said in an email to Yahoo! Sports. “For a full year I had to play on one leg against the best and I couldn’t compete with anybody the way I was feeling.

“It’s gonna be a relief to get out there and play knowing what I went [through] last season and this summer.”

While McGrady is awaiting final clearance from team doctors, Rockets sources don’t expect there to be any problems.

One source close to McGrady says he’s “still feeling a little pain” in his knee, but the front office and coaching staffs are encouraged by his progress. Houston general manager Daryl Morey declined comment, but suggested the organization would have something formal to say soon.

Link

GREAT news! This team has been looking more and more like a playoff team, and getting back one of stars early on will prevent the chemistry issues like last season.

His progress has been nothing short of magnificent.

• Owner

You guys are 4-2 without him. Is it really a good idea to bring him back in and take shots away from Scola, Ariza and Brooks?

I mean, typically, it's a good idea to bring in a star player...but I don't see how much more he can contribute without taking away what Ariza and Battier do on defense, as McGrady rarely plays on the defensive end, and that, in turn, has an effect on offensive production.

You guys are 4-2 without him. Is it really a good idea to bring him back in and take shots away from Scola, Ariza and Brooks?

I mean, typically, it's a good idea to bring in a star player...but I don't see how much more he can contribute without taking away what Ariza and Battier do on defense, as McGrady rarely plays on the defensive end, and that, in turn, has an effect on offensive production.

The team needs a go-to-guy down the stretch and one that isn't so clumsy like Aaron Brooks or Trevor Ariza. I feel most comfortable when the ball is in T-Mac's hands and his playmaking is still elite. Seriously, this is perfect cast for him. Aaron can hit shots from just about anywhere, 70% of Ariza's shots were from assists, Budinger is a great catch and shoot guy, and we've already seen what T-Mac can do with Scola and Landry in 2008.

If he can return to his 2008 production I don't see much of a problem, we did go on a 22 game winning streak with him in our starting lineup. And this team has a better cast than 2008. Also nothing wrong with boosting his trade value either. ;)