Pieces come together; Greg Oden unleashed

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/medium_greg-oden-072209.jpg

Pieces come together; Greg Oden unleashed

"More and more, the Trail Blazers are learning just how much Greg Oden means to their success.

On Tuesday, Oden was the difference for the Blazers as they jumpstarted a five-game trip with a 93-79 rout of Memphis that ran the Blazers winning streak to three.

After playing only four minutes in the first half after two quick fouls, Oden was powerful on offense and intimidating on defense, helping the Blazers break away from a 45-45 halftime tie. Oden had 14 points, six rebounds and two blocks in the second half, and keyed the Blazers' decisive 14-1 run in the third quarter.

"I was 0-fer in the first half," Oden said, referring to his statistical line. "I wanted to get something going. And by running and giving energy, I thought it could definitely open things up."

The emergence of Oden is getting the Blazers close to completing the diamond that coach Nate McMillan likes to make with his hands when talking about this team. McMillan puts his forefingers and thumbs together to symbolize the connection between Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Oden, and himself.

Prior to this season, that diamond has never been complete because Oden has been learning the ropes. But now, the team and Oden are getting the picture.

"The biggest thing about tonight is seeing how Greg is a huge part of what we do," Roy said. "If we can keep him on the floor it makes us a much better team. It opens everything for all of us. So in a lot of ways, it starts with him."

Portland (5-3) has now beaten Memphis (1-7) eight consecutive times, and Tuesday's victory had moments from nearly every Blazers player.

----

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/11/trail_blazers_93_memphis_79_pi.html

It's nice to see that Oden is making an impact for his team, even on nights where his stats aren't the greatest. As this team continues to grow together, I think its really important that he tries hard to avoid getting into early foul trouble and stay out there. Patience and maturity as a player will help him with that.

Great article and getting to see Oden make a difference night in and night out regardless of the stat sheet, is awesome. I'm loving the way he's growing as a player and if he doesn't have a huge break out year this season, next season he will for sure. But by the way he's playing, he's getting it and knowing his role on the court. I love it.