Missed Opportunities

So far this season the Raptors have gotten off to an expected start at 3-4. When the schedule was released and we saw who the Raptors would play in the first 7 games of the season I don't think that anybody could be upset with a 3-4 record considering they have played Cleveland, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas and San Antonio (the latter 3 on the road).

However, you can't help but think that the Raptors have blown some golden opportunities to start the season.

They opened up the season with an upset with over the Cavs, but then they had a terrible showing against the lowly Memphis Grizzlies. They returned home to face the Orlando Magic, but it was an injury riddled Magic who were missing Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis and Mickael Pietrus. They got off to a terrible start and couldn't bounce back from that on route to a loss. After that they took care of business with a win over the Pistons on homecourt and an impressive road victory over the Hornets. They were embarassed by the Mavs, but I don't think that anybody actually had them winning that game regardless. Lastly, they travelled to San Antonio to play the Spurs without Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, but another lackluster effort on the defensive end of the floor turned a very winnable game into an embarassing loss as they gave up 131 points to the Duncan and Parker-less Spurs.

My question to you all is, do you think that these missed opportunities (losses against the Grizzlies and the undermaned Spurs and Magic) could come back to bite the Raptors down the road? Like I said in the opening of this post, I don't think that too many people could've expected much more than the 3-4 record that the Raptors have, but you can't help to think that if the Raptors had taken advantage of the positive circumstances given to them that they could just as easily be sitting at 5-2 or even 6-1.

Will not taking advantage of these early season circumstances come back to bite them in the [expletive] come March/April?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

For me I feel that they missed some huge opportunities. If you watched those games the raptors have a great chance to win those games. At the end of the day it comes down to getting defensive stops and converting on offense and in those games they didn’t play good defence towards the end of the game. Another thing in their losses there has been a lack of aggression on both ends of the floor. This team needs to play tough and I just can’t wait to have Reggie back because I believe he will truly help this team become tougher.

One thing we have to look at is this team is still trying to find its identity and they’re continuing to build the chemistry within this team so it’s going to take time and they will blow some opportunities but once this team clicks on a nightly bases the raptors will be tough to beat,

The only game I wish we could have back is Memphis, all the other games I can deal with the L's, because even though they are banged up they are still title contenders and their chemistry is much better than ours. Our guys are still getting used to the team and the system, just ask Jarret.

• 4 months later...

So with the Raptors inability to grab a rebound on two crucial possessions against the Nuggets ending up costing them that game and their collapse yesterday against the Heat, I figured that it might be an appropriate time to bump this thread.

With the win today against Charlotte, the Raptors are now 2 games back of them for the 7th seed in the East. If the Raptors wouldn't have blown the two previous games leading up to this one they would be sitting at a record of 38-35, which would put them in a tie for 7th place in the East (Raptors would own the tiebreaker with the Bobcats though, so they would be in 7th).

Now here is the kicker, if the Raptors would've held on against the Heat, Miami would be at 39-35 instead of the 40-34 record that they currently have. That would put the Raptors a mere half game back of the 6th seed in the East and would also have assured the Raptors the tie breaker over both the Heat and Bobcats, which would mean that they would only have to match either of these two teams records to finish ahead of them in the standings.

Lastly, the Raptors would be only a game back of the Bucks (although Milwaukee owns the tie breaker) for 5th place in the East.

It is amazing how much those two games that they should've won are going to come back and bite the Raptors in the [expletive]. Instead of talking about how depressing this team is to be a fan of, we would've been talking about a potential 5th seed in the East.

I just found it pretty interesting how a mere 2 games has completely changed most Raptor fans outlook on this season.

Anyways, I know that this is worthless to discuss as what's done is done, but I figured I'd bring it up anyways.

EDIT: Some of my calculations may be off. I wrote this while studying for a test tomorrow so I wasn't paying complete attention.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

vs. Clippers

@ Sixers

vs. Warriors

@ Cavaliers

vs. Celtics

@ Hawks

vs. Bulls

@ Pistons

vs. Knicks

Up-and-down schedule, too. Doesn't look too promising, to be honest. That five-game run, after the Sixers, is going to be tough, really. The Warriors run way too much, Chicago wants to win badly, and those other three need no explanations.

Could be a tough road to that seventh seed for the Raptors.

Oh man, that three game stretch with Boston/Atlanta/Cleveland is brutal. Toronto needs to get their act together and play some of that spectacular basketball from January.