Nelson, Ellis Have Confrontation At Practice

Legacy

Warriors coach Don Nelson and guard Monta Ellis had a war of words during Thursday's practice in New York.

Ellis kicked off the argument when he asked Nelson: "Coach, why do I get blamed for everything?"

"What have I ever blamed you for?" Nelson asked in response.

"For everything. Everything. People not knowing their plays. I didn't do this. I didn't do that," Ellis said.

Nelson then waved off Ellis and left the practice facility.

Ellis refused to talk to media after the spat and his teammates tried to calm him down.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Nelson yelled at Ellis in front of the entire team after he was one of a few players that weren't quite ready to begin practice on time.

Source

Too many damn problems with players against Nelson. Nellie needs to go, but I doubt our stupid front office would fire him.

I think Ellis understands the problems with Nelson's game strategy and is frustrated that he can't do anything about it but just keep his head in the game and say yes to whatever the coach tells him. It looks like it's starting to show in practice, since he's probably less motivated to bust his butt for an organization that he doesn't agree with and the coach is calling him out on it.

It's either the Warriors get a new coach, or Ellis may wind up joining Jackson on his way out.

Edited by Poe