High Flying Hawks off to a fast start

Carmelamare

The Hawks just beat arguably the best team in the NBA in the Celtics 97-86, and are now 7-2, 4-2 on the road. Key wins were @ Portland, vs Denver, and now @ Boston. Horford got a double double, 12 PTS, 13 REB.

Now they begin a 4 game home stand starting on Saturday against the reeling Hornets.

LET'S GO HAWKS!

• Owner

Don't get too excited. Atlanta started the season 6-0 last year, lost four in a row after that, and I believe they actually beat the Magic on the road in their opener, and they ALMOST beat the Celtics in Boston in their first loss of the season (lost by one).

I can't say they are much different from last season. I know what Crawford is giving them, but I'll reserve calling them a contender until we dive into the season a bit deeper. I mean, Atlanta had a seven-game winning streak last March, so they were looking good...but inconsistency kills.

We're looking good alright. We do struggle at times on defense and on offensive. An example would the the New York game. We played horrible defense for the most part of that game but we eventually picked it up and won. Luckily we were playing the Knicks and not a good team like Cleveland or Orlando.

As long as we can continue to dominate at home and play well consistently on the road we're almost a lock for the 4th seed or possibly even higher in the East.

With all this said, we still have 73 games to play so anything can happen.

This team has a bright future, I doubt JJ leaves this team now in 2010 because they have a huge window of opportunity to contend long term, got a lot of good, as well as young, players there long term. Also this is HIS team, he has really developed into an outstanding player, I like his game.

I have liked what the Hawks have been doing, used to love being them in sim leagues 2 years ago lol because of all the young talent they had, too bad they still don't have Childress lol.

I think adding Crawford for nothing was a huge addition, and shows the Hawks are serious about contending. I think this team will get closer year after year, while they may not get to the finals this year, I would not be surprised if they were there any season these next 4 or 5 years assuming their core stays in tact.

Like I said though, as these young guys mature and figure out what it takes to win night in night out, how to grind games out, they will be a threat. Because this team has a ton of talent on it, and they are young.

Don't get too excited. Atlanta started the season 6-0 last year, lost four in a row after that, and I believe they actually beat the Magic on the road in their opener, and they ALMOST beat the Celtics in Boston in their first loss of the season (lost by one).

I can't say they are much different from last season. I know what Crawford is giving them, but I'll reserve calling them a contender until we dive into the season a bit deeper. I mean, Atlanta had a seven-game winning streak last March, so they were looking good...but inconsistency kills.

If the Hawks are consistent, no one can beat us!

A few Hawks players need to work on certain facets of their games.

Josh Smith needs to develop a longer ranging jump shot, Horford needs to build on his post moves and defense (shot blocking presence) and the Hawks need to sign a big man who can do more then Zaza is because he isn't doing enough i believe coming off the bench.

I think Johnson needs to leave for this team to get better, if they could snatch Dwyane Wade which is a surprise but possible option for them, then i will be shocked and following to this teams future.

Here's a good article on why the Hawks are doing what they're doing

Forget about Boston, Cleveland and Orlando. The best record in the East currently belongs to the 10-2 Atlanta Hawks.

What's the difference between this edition of the Hawks and the underachievers of the past few seasons?

Not Joe Johnson. He's still among the most unstoppable one-on-one scorers in the league. Indeed, as he proved in the Hawks' dousing of the Heat, J.J. can score from anywhere. His total of 30 points included 5-for-11 from 3-point range, a dunked put-back and a couple of layups on the run — plus his characteristic tricky maneuverings through a forest of in-the-paint defenders.

Johnson also demonstrated his prowess as a defensive stopper — holding the usually dynamic Dwayne Wade to 2-for-9 in the first half, a total of only 15 points on 6-for-18 shooting, and a mere two tries at the stripe. Not a stealer or a banger, Johnson is an incredible position defender, who relies on strength, anticipation and a thorough understanding of his opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

In fact, J.J.'s superlative performance in the game at hand was merely business as usual...

...However, the one player on the Hawks who's most responsible for the quantum leap the team has taken thus far this young season is Josh Smith.

There's no question about this.

Where he used to hoist up at least one or two ill-advised treys per game, Smith's 3-point attempt Wednesday was his first in the 12 games the Hawks have played.

Where he used to shoot first and never ask questions, Smith totaled a game-high seven assists and is averaging 4.0 this season. Compare this to his career average of 2.6 assists per game. In addition to his registered assists, Smith also made seven other timely passes to teammates who missed their ensuing shots...

From Charley Rosen

Edited by Erick Blasco