Iverson to Knicks likely?

AboveLegit

Can Allen Iverson save the Knicks’ season, rescue them at the box office or at least make them relevant again?

Donnie Walsh will spend the next 48 hours debating what impact, both negative and positive, Iverson could have on the organization. Walsh, the Knicks’ president, confirmed last night that the club will explore the possibility of signing Iverson, the former league MVP who was placed on waivers Tuesday by the Memphis Grizzlies.

“We’ll look into it,” Walsh told the Daily News. “Right now, I’d say probably not but we’ll see.”

A source close to Iverson says he’d be eager to play in Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system. Iverson had similar interest over the summer but the Knicks passed. But with the team off to its worst 10-game start in franchise history, Walsh may have a change of heart.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2009/11/16/2009-11-16_iverson_could_be_answer_for_knicks.html

Do it.

They don't have the defensive minded players AI needs but they can center their offense around him. The Knicks get a big name who can help sell tickets and possibly add to their arsenal to lure Lebron. Works out for both sides.

• Owner

Hey bro, for future reference, I wouldn't use BTA links to articles that are written by anyone outside of BTA. We figured we'd do something like that a LONG time ago, and we were contacted by Yahoo when we did it with their stories, and again by some NBA.com guy using their articles about two years ago. RealGM has agreements with their sources, and I believe they also don't supply others with links to RealGM, either...could be a big problem you'll run into if caught.

Not only that, but posting full articles is a big no-no, link provided or not. I wish I still had the post that was made about it on the old OTR, where I quoted the Yahoo guy (and it was an official Yahoo support email addy, too).

Just putting that out there for ya, and also reminding our members not to post full articles. :)

It would be the best situation for Iverson, but I'm not sure if it's the best scenario for the Knicks. The fast paced game would inflate AI's stats, and I'm sure he would love that. I just feel unsure about the Knicks getting another player with no defense. And, also, I don't think Nate Robinson and AI would work very well together, either.

Here's another view on this topic...

One team official from the New York Knicks said there is at least a 50-50 chance that the club will pursue Allen Iverson, but another source said that is even more likely.

“It’s a given,” said the person, who was not authorized by the team to discuss private deliberations. “They’re going to make the biggest play for him.”

The decision rests with the team president, Donnie Walsh, and ultimately with James Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman. There are strong indications that Coach Mike D’Antoni is already sold on the idea.

The Knicks declined to pursue Iverson this summer, believing that the roster was strong enough to win 35 to 40 games and contend for a playoff spot.

New York is now interested in Iverson out of a strong need, according to the source.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62873/20091118/knicks_expected_to_make_strongest_push_for_iverson/