Done deal: Larry Johnson signs with Bengals

Warren2ThaG

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/NFL/KC/1315.jpg

--------

Done deal: Larry Johnson signs with Bengals

Free agent Larry Johnson has signed a one-year contract with the Bengals, according to beat writer Joe Reedy. We're still awaiting official word from the team, but this is a done deal. Johnson likely received the prorated veteran's minimum of $306,764.43 for the final seven games of the season. He's a fourth-stringer right now and Bernard Scott should be added well before L.J. as we await word on Cedric Benson's hip injury.

---

This signing gives them the option to let Benson fully heal. They are a playoff team and that defense looks as good as any in the league right now. Let Benson heal up and let LJ and Scott take the carries for now.

Cedric Benson is still better.

Ya this year.

But you need to take into major consideration that LJ has never had a good offense. This includes multiple bad qb's, horrible play calling, and a bad o-line.

With the right team next year IMO he can be a top 10 RB in the league again.

Chicago Sun-Times - Cedric Benson didn't appear especially thrilled with Cincinnati's addition of Larry Johnson.

''Oh, I didn't know I was supposed to be jumping out of my seat or anything,'' said Benson. ''I really have no feelings about it. They made a move they felt they needed to do, and that's fine with me. ... It's not going to affect me in any kind of way.''

The Bengals signed Johnson after he was released last week by the Kansas City Chiefs

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/14625/20091119/benson_not_thrilled_with_lj_signing/

I think Benson's smart enough to recognize that getting 29, 27, 37, and 34 carries in four respective games this season will eventually wear him down throughout the season, and into the playoffs. The Bengals don't have such a great need to run him more then 20 times a game down the stretch. They play Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, San Diego, Kansas City and the Jets down the stretch, with only the Vikings having that dominant run game. Even then, the Vikings would still giving Fred Evans and Jimmy Kennedy a lot more snaps as they rest the Williams' for the playoffs as well.

The Jets don't have Jenkins, the Chargers don't have Williams, and the Browns, Lions, Raiders and Chiefs just cannot stop the run. Giving a bit more of a workload to the stable of back-ups Marvin Lewis has assembled is a smart idea. You need to divulge the number of carries to reduce the risk of injury. I have no problem with any team running the ball 35-40 times a game if they can do it. Pound the football, and let Carson Palmer and that nice cast of receivers make plays through the air in single coverage.

Scott should get 6-8 carries a game, Johnson 3-5, Leonard should be getting third down duty, and give Benson the leftovers, probably 14-18 a game. Benson already has 205 carries with 7 games left. If he keeps that up he'll be up in that 370 range. You just need to think about the long-term effects of giving a guy 27 carries against such a physical defense like the Ravens.

• Like 1