Wizards Owner Abe Pollin Dies At 85

AboveLegit

Washington Sports & Entertainment Chairman Abe Pollin passed away early Tuesday.

Pollin, who owned the NBA’s Washington Wizards, purchased the team in 1964 as part of an investment group.

He also owned the NHL’s Capitals and the WNBA’s Mystics.

http://btabasketball.com/news/wizards-owner-abe-pollin-dies-at-85/

I'm at loss of words right now...I cannot believe it. We all knew of his health issues, and this was something that was bound to happen, but damn. The Wizards play the Sixers at home tonight, the players were all very fond of him, he was a darn good owner and very caring of our franchise. I had a chance to meet Abe before, he was such a soft spoken man, but everyone respected him. RIP Abe, you were a great owner and an even better person.

I hope this tragic death sends a message to our players, it's unfortunate Abe couldn't see us win another championship (he had always hoped to see that light of day), but this is the time we come together as a unit and start winning games. This season is dedicated to Abe, and I hope we exceed expectations from now on.

Edited by Eastcoast Assassin

That's sad. I remember watching a playoff game between the Cavs and Wizards two years ago in Washington and they talked about how badly he wanted a winning team. Seems like he was really dedicated to the city. Really sad. R.I.P.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

I still cannot get over this death. For some of you guys who don't know Mr. Pollin, he was the heart and soul of this team, and easily one of the best owners of any sport. One of the assistant VP's talked to Abe around 11 a.m. today, and before the conversation finished, Abe told him, "Make sure everyone goes home early today so they can spend as much time with their families during this Thanksgiving week."

Another instance desciribing Pollin is something you all are familiar with. You may wonder from time to time why the Bullets name was changed to the Wizards. Well in spite of the violent attacks and crime rates gradually increasing in DC, Pollin thought the name "Bullets" referred to it, and thus, changed it to something more appealing.

It just shows you the type of man Abe was. Jamison looked like he was going to break down in tears in his post game interview a few hours ago when asked about this tragedy. He said something along the lines of "I loved him. He always spoke highly of me, often comparing me to Wes Unseld. That truly means a lot to me."

Abe would go down to the training camp in Richmond, Virginia and take each player aside and give them some words of advice for the upcoming season. Not once did he say something negative.

There's just so many stories to tell about Abe, I had a good chance to see him, meet him, and watch him year in and year out for 8-9 years, he's such a prominent member of D.C. and Maryland.