Hollinger: "Bargnani May Be Worst Help Defender in NBA"

This is older, but still relevant so I thought I would post it anyways. It is an ESPN Insider article so I'm not going to post it on here, but he basically goes on to say that Bargnani is absolutely clueless when it comes to help defense and doesn't know how to read the play as it develops etc...

The sad thing is that this just may be true and that would mean that the Raptors have arguably the worst help defender and worst individual defender in all of basketball at arguably the two most important positions defensively (center and point guard). You have got to love it.

Anyways, do you think that Bargnani is in fact the worst help defender in the NBA, or at the very least, one of the worst?

I'll say this, he's bad, and their is a large sample size to make this claim. He's been in the league for 4 years, and seems to have made some progression on ball, but still looks clueless on D.

However, their is a large sample size because of his offensive game. To call him the worst help side defender could be a difficult claim to make because I don't know how good every single other player is.

Let's get this straight, he's pretty bad, and that's being nice, but to say he's the worst isn't as much an incorrect statement as it would be a incomplete one. I'll need to see a large sample from other players.

Edited by BasX

Bargnani is clueless on the pick and roll and is clueless on rotations. He gets the odd weakside block but other than that he is absolutely useless defensively. We can't afford to have opposing PG's blow by Jose at will when we have Andrea and Bosh down low who don't provide any sort of help really. While there is no cushion for the wings on defense, they would be terrible either way tbh. I mean even Dwight Howard could only bail Jose out so many times.

I've come to accept as long as Jose AND Andrea are on this team we can't be anything more than .500 or so, probably the 2 most important positions defensively we have two of the worst defenders at that position in the entire league, at least in comparison to starters. The worst part is Bargnani neither looks like he cares or is trying on the defensive end, and he gives up offensive boards at times without his feet even leaving the floor, he expects the ball to just come to him.

I don't know about Andrea being the worst, but I am almost certain Jose is the worst starting PG in the NBA, there are some dumpy C's out there but most other teams have a quick PG who is at least relatively competent defensively, Jose is neither quick or capable defensively.

It is frustrating watching Jose get blown by and teams go end to end and laying it in without getting contested, would rather see them foul the damn guy. It is also frustrating that the guy expected to lead this team is completely ignorant to all this, which I doubt he is because I am sure he reads the paper and ESPN, or he has too much pride to revamp the team and guys he has called his 'core' for so long.

This national team isn't working, we need athletic guys who can defend, we can sacrifice some scoring, especially from Andrea, for a banger like Andris Biedrins. That would be an amazing deal for us if we could do something for Andris, always been a big fan of his, not sure what sort of value he would have if BC inquired about him.

Is this really surprising news though? Bargnani's been clueless defensively his entire career. He's ended up being able to block several shots a game (which is enough for the clueless majority of Raptors fans on BR to believe that progress is being made), but he simply has no awareness of what is happening around him, nor how to initiate what he wants the opponent to do, instead of reacting to him.

By the way BFT, how do you feel about the Raptors possibly being the best offensive team of all time, and the worst defensive team of all time?