Sacramento Kings Breakdown: Kings Are No Longer Jesters

Erick Blasco

In the midst of a total youth movement, the Sacramento Kings are playing their best ball in over a year. Their 111-97 drubbing over the Knicks was partially due to New York’s incompetence, but also to the young talent the Kings are beginning to acquire. Let’s look at the individuals.

Tyreke Evans is Sacramento’s prized rookie and while he’s an uneven talent, he’s a talent nonetheless. He has the handle and the speed to get into the paint, and displayed a nifty left-to-right spinning banker among his more impressive finishes. He also forced numerous drives and passes, particularly in garbage time when his streak of 20-point games was in jeopardy. Hopefully he isn’t displaying a tendency to value his own numbers over team play?

His jump shot is maddeningly inconsistent. He cocks the ball behind his head as he shoots, creating an awkward follow-through. Of his three misses, two were airballs.

However, Evans used his uncanny size and strength to post up the Knicks and make timely passes when double teamed.

Defensively, Evans was usually hidden with Chris Duhon and Toney Douglas shooting poorly.

Evans needs a thorough ironing to smooth out all the wrinkles in his game. But he can create his own shot, make plays for others, and against the Knicks, rebound the basketball (11 REB). He has the talent, the strength, and the creativity to be the big-time athlete the Kings definitely need.

If Evans is Sacramento’s prized possession, Donta Green was its best player against the Knicks.

Exploding to the hoop, and splashing in triples, Green dominated New York from near and far—9-13 FG, 6-7 3FG, 24 PTS.

Green also ran side screen/rolls expertly, made extra passes, made a veteran high-post flash and pass to a fronted Evans in the low box, terrorized the Knicks with his prime-time shot blocking (6 BLK), and played with jubilation not seen by Sacramento’s opponents.

As extraordinary a game Green had, he was confused on several rotations and committed almost as many turnovers as assists (5 TO, 6 AST). Also, he had difficulty shooting and creating when the Knicks crowded him.

Still, Green is a remarkable athlete who can boost the Kings through whatever doldrums they may experience. A definite keeper.

Spencer Hawes showed a soft touch on several right hooks, plus he drained a triple. However, he plays below the rim, doesn’t move or jump quickly, and isn’t overly strong. While he showed nice touch, at least a pair of his hooks had the benefit of dancing around every possibly inch of the rim before crawling in. Hawes can be a useful rotation player, but if Sacramento becomes a good team, it won’t be with Hawes starting for them.

Jason Thompson can hit mid-range springers and face-and-go, but he has no back-to-the-basket game, isn’t an effective defender, and is toothpick thin. He too looks like a useful athlete off the bench, but ultimately, a backup.

Andres Nocioni and Ime Udoka are short-term stopgaps, but each played hard nosed defense that would be wise to emulate. If Nocioni was overaggressive at times, his activity on defense is a valuable lesson for his teammates to follow. He also splashed in a pair of threes in seven attempts. And when Danillo Gallinari briefly heated up in the second half, Udoka put a clamp on his early-offense step-in-rhythm triples.

Sergio Rodriguez is a third stringer and nothing more. If he consistently got to the rim, it was the product of horrendous Nate Robinson defense as opposed to his own offensive creativity. He overpenetrated, forced several ill-advised shots and drives, and played no defense on Robinson.

Omar Casspi is frail, shoots jumpers from his hip, has too much arm movement in his free throw routine, and is another poor defender. However, he cuts hard off the ball, is always moving, and has a number of tricky release points, as evidenced by an impressive lefty drive, righty floater, plus a foul.

Jon Brockman is too undersized, and too underathletic. to be a valuable player. However, his smarts and energy will always find him on a roster as a practice player.

Defensively the Kings packed the paint, sagged off, and relied on their length to close out shooters. Their defensive rotations sometimes had nobody covering a shooter, and sometimes had three players running at one guy. In short, the Kings players sloppy, inexperienced defense.

Offensively, the Knicks offered no resistance, so the energetic Kings took everything that was given to them.

All in all, the Kings are starting to develop a backcourt that can provide enough punch to lead to wins. Evans provides muscle in the backcourt to offset Kevin Martin’s flimsiness, and is a better passer. Ultimately, Evans may prove to be more of a shooting guard than a point guard though, which may facilitate trading the fragile Martin.

As constructed, the Kings need an athletic low post scorer, better point guards, more practice time for Evans to hone his game, and a total frontcourt upgrade. However, considering how the only thing they appeared to have last season was Kevin Martin, they’re already making progress. Also, Paul Westphal appears to have the Kings well-coached on offense, and his strategy of selling out to protect the paint at the expense of jump shots is probably best for the Kings.

While they’re still many players and several seasons away from becoming a playoff team, after two years of listless mediocrity and last season’s disaster, the Kings finally have a light at the end of their tunnel. And they don’t need K-Mart to provide it.

Edited by Erick Blasco

I'm inferring that you think Spencer Hawes is better than Jason Thompson. Am I misreading? If not, I have to disagree.

You did mention that Hawes "plays below the rim, doesn’t move or jump quickly, and isn’t overly strong." If anything, that's an understatement. As athleticism goes, Hawes is tragic.

Thompson does lack a back-to-the-basket game. But think: he's 6'11", very solid athletically, and played for a small school. Why would he need a refined post game to be successful? I would theorize that he's weak in the pivot just because he hasn't had a need to develop there, not because he doesn't have the natural ability. Thompson is (or, at least, will very soon be) significantly better than Spencer Hawes.

I'm inferring that you think Spencer Hawes is better than Jason Thompson. Am I misreading? If not, I have to disagree.

You did mention that Hawes "plays below the rim, doesn’t move or jump quickly, and isn’t overly strong." If anything, that's an understatement. As athleticism goes, Hawes is tragic.

Thompson does lack a back-to-the-basket game. But think: he's 6'11", very solid athletically, and played for a small school. Why would he need a refined post game to be successful? I would theorize that he's weak in the pivot just because he hasn't had a need to develop there, not because he doesn't have the natural ability. Thompson is (or, at least, will very soon be) significantly better than Spencer Hawes.

Not at all. They're both projecting as backups, but I actually like Thompson more. Thompson needs a post game because all non point guards, and especially power forwards, need a post game. To impose your will, to command double teams and force the defense into compromised situation, to get to the line, etc. Right now he only scores on hustle plays and a midrange jumper. That's a very limited arsenal when you aren't a good defender either.

Good article.

Until the Kings became unwatchable (sometime in 2005 or so), they were my second favourite team so I'm still half interested in what they're doing with their players and how they're fairing at the moment. As a team, I am surprised that they've won as many games as they have, especially without Kevin Martin. One analyst on ESPN (not sure which one) called them the Houston Rockets 2.0, a team with no legitimate first or second option, but a team that gets it done nonetheless given the talent they have. So far, even with the sub .500 record, they've exceeded my expectations. I was not expecting a 6-8 record. I wasn't even expecting 6 wins from the Kings until at least early December so they're playing great basketball at the moment.

For the players you just mentioned, I have a few opinions of my own to add. First Donte Greene; scores the ball so, so well. Efficiency scoring the ball in his rookie season last season was a problem for him, but so far, he looks completely different as a player. He slashes, he shoots; he does the whole show on offense. However as far as 6'10" guys go, he spends a little bit too much time on the perimeter and it'll get him in trouble later on when teams expect more out of him. As mentioned before, his slashing game is so smooth and agile for a player his size and it's a real bonus for the Kings to have a player who can score both putting the ball on the floor and shooting it from long range. I'm impressed with him as a player, but I think teams might be more at ease in holding on to him long term if he showed improvement in other areas, namely rebounding, which he shown he is absolutely pathetic at thus far. He could very well be a glue guy later in his career, but if he wants teams to invest in him thanks to his individual talents and not his ability to hold the team together, than he needs to prove he's more than just a scorer.

Secondly, Spencer Hawes. I don't know, it might just be, it probably is just me, but I love Hawes. He does everything right. He is the guy any team would love to have, whether it be in a starting role or as a player off the bench because he just knows how to play. Hawes doesn't have amazing skill, nor does he have an off the charts IQ, but he grinds it out and plays the game like a good teammate and a good role player. That's what is most impressive about him. Although it's so cliche to compare a white center to another white center, but his game does look an awful lot like Brad Miller's minus Miller's passing skill + Hawes might be a little more active in the low post and lots of teams like Miller for what he brings. I believe when Hawes is 26-30 years old, he'll have teams lining up to get a shot at signing him because he's a no-nonsense, hard-working teammate. It's really refreshing to see, to be honest.

I'll stop gushing about Hawes before it makes me look weird.

Everything else in your article, I don't really need to comment on I guess. Again, great work on it. I really like reading your stuff. It's always very interesting.

Good article.

Until the Kings became unwatchable (sometime in 2005 or so), they were my second favourite team so I'm still half interested in what they're doing with their players and how they're fairing at the moment. As a team, I am surprised that they've won as many games as they have, especially without Kevin Martin. One analyst on ESPN (not sure which one) called them the Houston Rockets 2.0, a team with no legitimate first or second option, but a team that gets it done nonetheless given the talent they have. So far, even with the sub .500 record, they've exceeded my expectations. I was not expecting a 6-8 record. I wasn't even expecting 6 wins from the Kings until at least early December so they're playing great basketball at the moment.

For the players you just mentioned, I have a few opinions of my own to add. First Donte Greene; scores the ball so, so well. Efficiency scoring the ball in his rookie season last season was a problem for him, but so far, he looks completely different as a player. He slashes, he shoots; he does the whole show on offense. However as far as 6'10" guys go, he spends a little bit too much time on the perimeter and it'll get him in trouble later on when teams expect more out of him. As mentioned before, his slashing game is so smooth and agile for a player his size and it's a real bonus for the Kings to have a player who can score both putting the ball on the floor and shooting it from long range. I'm impressed with him as a player, but I think teams might be more at ease in holding on to him long term if he showed improvement in other areas, namely rebounding, which he shown he is absolutely pathetic at thus far. He could very well be a glue guy later in his career, but if he wants teams to invest in him thanks to his individual talents and not his ability to hold the team together, than he needs to prove he's more than just a scorer.

Secondly, Spencer Hawes. I don't know, it might just be, it probably is just me, but I love Hawes. He does everything right. He is the guy any team would love to have, whether it be in a starting role or as a player off the bench because he just knows how to play. Hawes doesn't have amazing skill, nor does he have an off the charts IQ, but he grinds it out and plays the game like a good teammate and a good role player. That's what is most impressive about him. Although it's so cliche to compare a white center to another white center, but his game does look an awful lot like Brad Miller's minus Miller's passing skill + Hawes might be a little more active in the low post and lots of teams like Miller for what he brings. I believe when Hawes is 26-30 years old, he'll have teams lining up to get a shot at signing him because he's a no-nonsense, hard-working teammate. It's really refreshing to see, to be honest.

I'll stop gushing about Hawes before it makes me look weird.

Everything else in your article, I don't really need to comment on I guess. Again, great work on it. I really like reading your stuff. It's always very interesting.

It's only one game and I admittedly haven't seen any other Kings game this season, but from what I've read, it looks like Green is starting to put things together. He can't really create set offense for himself, but he's explosive without the ball and can get hot from downtown. He doesn't have the body to be a power player, but he was playing every position from shooting guard to power forward. I think small forward is his true position. I also think he'll play better the less that's asked of him. I don't know if he has a good enough handle to create for himself. He'll drive, but only when he has a clear path and can take off for a dunk.

Hawes is a nice enough player who will probably become a nice enough backup. Like gunfighter hinted at though, he may be the least athletic player in the league (along with Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Miller, etc.). And he's not particularly strong. He doesn't do enough to warrant being a starter. Being a smart, hard working player who is a good teammate is nice. Most teams with space would love to bring him in as a fourth big man. I just don't think he's talented enough to be a starter on a halfway decent team. I mean Miller's been picked on defensively everywhere he's been, what will keep Hawes from being a similar liability?

Thanks for the comment!

Not at all. They're both projecting as backups, but I actually like Thompson more. Thompson needs a post game because all non point guards, and especially power forwards, need a post game. To impose your will, to command double teams and force the defense into compromised situation, to get to the line, etc. Right now he only scores on hustle plays and a midrange jumper. That's a very limited arsenal when you aren't a good defender either.

I misspoke. I meant to say: Why would he have needed a post game up until now? My point was that he never worked on his post game in high school and college because he didn't need it against smaller, less gifted athletes. I think he'll pick it up when he realizes that he's not in Kansas anymore.

I misspoke. I meant to say: Why would he have needed a post game up until now? My point was that he never worked on his post game in high school and college because he didn't need it against smaller, less gifted athletes. I think he'll pick it up when he realizes that he's not in Kansas anymore.

Whether or not he's needed it, the important thing is that he doesn't have it right now. And learning post moves is never a given. Until he develops a post game, he's Hakim Warrick-lite. Which isn't terrible, but isn't starting for a real good team either.

Great breakdown, I haven't seen any Kings games this year so it was really informative to read your article. When the Martin comes back from his injury, do you think the Kings should experiment with him and Evans in the lineup or should they just find a suitor and trade him away come February?

Hopefully he isn’t displaying a tendency to value his own numbers over team play?

I think so. Watching him, he looks uninterested when the ball isn't in his hands or isn't going to be in his hands, and he does force a lot of shots. Hate to call a player selfish this early in their career, but he might be one of 'those players'.

Good write-up. Do the Sixers soon, and tell me if it makes any sense.

Great breakdown, I haven't seen any Kings games this year so it was really informative to read your article. When the Martin comes back from his injury, do you think the Kings should experiment with him and Evans in the lineup or should they just find a suitor and trade him away come February?

Yeah, they shouldn't give up on a potential scorer like Martin so quickly. They're playing well, they should see if they can integrate Martin into their lineup. Long-term though, if Evans is a shooting guard and not a point guard, they won't be able to get away with Martin at the 3. He's too skinny. That's when they should trade him. Right now though, there's no hurry.

I think so. Watching him, he looks uninterested when the ball isn't in his hands or isn't going to be in his hands, and he does force a lot of shots. Hate to call a player selfish this early in their career, but he might be one of 'those players'.

Good write-up. Do the Sixers soon, and tell me if it makes any sense.

They can probably get away with him having a tendency to call his own number simply because they're starved for playmaking without him. But yeah, it is something to keep an eye on.

Bad news with Philly though, I won't get a chance to do a write up of them until after the New Year.