Dunleavy finally gets back on court

Warren2ThaG

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1708.jpg

----------

Dunleavy finally gets back on court

"Jim O'Brien says he's in a position he hasn't been in since he became coach of the Indiana Pacers more than two years ago.

The Pacers are still without point guard Travis Diener, but the return of Mike Dunleavy for Friday's game against the Dallas Mavericks gave O'Brien his healthiest roster.

"You prepare the whole summer with a healthy roster in mind," O'Brien said. "You prepare and you have to go back to the mind-set you came into the season with. You hope that guys can work their way back into the rotation you had anticipated."

Diener is expected to be out at least another three weeks after having surgery on his toe last week. Still, he's the third point guard on the roster at best.

Dunleavy played just his 19th game in the past 17 months when he came off the bench. He is limited to no more than 20 minutes for the time being, after dealing with tendon problems in his knee over the past year.

"It would be an answer to my prayers if Michael could be healthy," O'Brien said. "I know how much the game means to him and I know how important he is to our franchise."

Dunleavy received a loud ovation when he checked in for the first time with about three minutes left in the first quarter.

It took him only 17 seconds to show how effective he can be when Jeff Foster found him on a backdoor cut for a layup. Dunleavy finished with 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field and 4-of-4 from the free throw line in nearly 16 minutes.

O'Brien is interested to see what type of team the Pacers have now that they're finally getting healthy.

"We have a group of guys playing at a high level and can be a solid basketball team," O'Brien said. "We would like to see exactly what we have. It's going to take a little bit of time and (some) luck to stay away from the injuries."

----

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091128/SPORTS04/911280364/1088/SPORTS04/Dunleavy-finally-gets-back-on-court