Obama's Afghanistan strategy

Guest N4S

So what do you think?

Obama outlined his plan to send 30,000 extra troops to Afghanistan with a time of withdrawl to be 2011.

Taliban's Thoughts:

"This strategy by the enemy will not benefit them," the Taliban said in a statement. However many more troops the enemy sends against our Afghan mujahideen, they are committed to increasing the number of mujahideen and strengthen their resistance."

So what do you think?

More people are starting to dislike Obama. It's really just another political move, I don't see why people thought Obama would be so different than any other politician. He's just the first president of color. That's really the only difference.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. He said we're supposed to be completely out of there by 2011, which may or may not happen. They like to say that now, then later down the road it will be some excuse to why we still need to be there.

Why would you ever announce a target exit date? Seems like the stupidest thing you could do considering the enemy will find out and strategize around that.

I think they gave a date to hopefully not upset too many people. But from just going around class today people are talking about how pissed they are about the whole thing.

• Owner

Shouldn't be fighting a war that you can't win to begin with. You can't defeat terrorism. I have no idea why it started, no idea why it's still going on, and that's where most of our money has been wasted this year, last year, and since 2001.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't today. If we stay and fight, we continue to spend for a war we'll never win. If we leave, we leave a country in ruins, one that others will blame us for destroying.

Go figure.

• Like 1

A war in Afghan I can understand because hell, they attacked us (the terrorists there at least) but Bush launched the Iraq war for his pops and everyone knows that. He truly believed that Hussein tried to kill his dad back in 1993 so getting Saddam and his :weapons" was basically something for his dad but it turned into a big mess.

Thought he swore before presidency that he will pull all troops and such out of Afghanistan/Iraq? -_- Anyways, everytime a president gives a date as to when all will be out, best not believe it. Because this war is just gonna keep going on until god knows when or god knows what.

Thought he swore before presidency that he will pull all troops and such out of Afghanistan/Iraq? -_- Anyways, everytime a president gives a date as to when all will be out, best not believe it. Because this war is just gonna keep going on until god knows when or god knows what.

Of course he said he would but that's just him being a politician. Say one thing and do another. What bothers me is that he was so adamant about these thing and now he's backtracking little by little on them. Soon enough he's going to lose his approval completely because I know its already begun to slip in the polls.

I was pretty upset he set a exit date but after reading you guys post's i do agree he is a politician and was most likely saying what people wanted to hear in a effort to maintain calm in the states.

Basically, if he pulled out we'd look like [expletive] in the internatoinal world and if we stay we look like [expletive] here.

Either way, the only way to create stability is time and us maintaining stability there. There is no quick fix. I've taken international politics classes at my university and it kind of makes sense reading a [expletive] load of articles about it.

I'm generally pretty anti-war, but the war in Afghanistan has been one I've always supported.

I was always opposed to the war in Iraq, ever since we invaded in 2003 or whatever year it was. It was a very unpopular stance to have at the time, and I was still young 6 years ago, but I was interested in these kinds of things. I just never saw the logic of focusing and putting more troops in Iraq then Afghanistan. These were the people who ATTACKED US, not Iraq. This is the war we should have been fighting the past 8 years or so. Instead, it's been almost ignored, pulling troops away from Afghanistan and placing them into Iraq.

This is why I support President Obama's plan to send more troops to Afghanistan. I feel finding Osama Bin Laden (if he's not already dead) and taking out more, or most of the Taliban/Al Queda should still be a priority for the United States. I think we should (if he hasn't already begun) taking troops out of Iraq, and putting them over in Afghanastan or sending them home. I'd give this plan a year or so, see how things go, and if we've made generally no progress, then the time to end this thing has come.

Edited by JYD
  • Like 1

I'm generally pretty anti-war, but the war in Afghanistan has been one I've always supported.

I was always opposed to the war in Iraq, ever since we invaded in 2003 or whatever year it was. It was a very unpopular stance to have at the time, and I was still young 6 years ago, but I was interested in these kinds of things. I just never saw the logic of focusing and putting more troops in Iraq then Afghanistan. These were the people who ATTACKED US, not Iraq. This is the war we should have been fighting the past 8 years or so. Instead, it's been almost ignored, pulling troops away from Afghanistan and placing them into Iraq.

This is why I support President Obama's plan to send more troops to Afghanistan. I feel finding Osama Bin Laden (if he's not already dead) and taking out more, or most of the Taliban/Al Queda should still be a priority for the United States. I think we should (if he hasn't already begun) taking troops out of Iraq, and putting them over in Afghanistan or sending them home. I'd give this plan a year or so, see how things go, and if we've made generally no progress, then the time to end this thing has come.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articlePictures/Middle-East-map.gif

Look what's in the middle of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. It's a military strategic move, I have feeling we'll be doing something with Iran after we establish our involvement more in Afghanistan. What Obama says and does is all lip service, he isn't running the show. He's no different than GWB was. Sorry but I don't think anybody cares about finding Bin Laden at this point. It's been how long? 8-9 years? Face it there is no just reason to be over there, unless it's something they arn't telling us.

The surge in Iraq did work, no matter how much you want to act like it didn't. And there's no such thing as an unwinnable war. Much of the problem boils down to what you want to do to win it. Considering that Defense Contractors are still around and that they are not counted amongst our troops and that we have other nations there, 30,000 is enough to pull something together. I'm not sure if publicly stating the date was such a good idea, but its good that he has a timetable set.

Overall a good move for Obama. Though it will take some time for the troops to be fully sent over there. I will be waiting to see the changes and effects of his decision.

So what do you guys think will change over here after Obama sends these troops away?

Keep in mind, Obamas campaign was all about "change." Im wondering, what is going to change?

Other than an increase in government involvement in a lot of things and an increase in your tax bill if you're well off then not much.

If we leave, we leave a country in ruins, one that others will blame us for destroying.

Do you remember your attitude when I mentioned this before Obama was elected? Something to the effect of, "People are dying, Jeremy, we have to pull the troops now."

I really can't tell what you think he should do. You've made a logical case for both sides.