Marcin Gortat Isn't Happy With His Playing Time

NJNJ

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ab/fullj.062a7fb414d19209fd6219046635dbae/062a7fb414d19209fd6219046635dbae-getty-90041112fm068_knicks_magic.jpg

Don't get Marcin Gortat wrong: He wants more than anything to help the Orlando Magic win a title this season as Dwight Howard's back-up.

But he told the Sentinel on Thursday that he eventually wants to move out of Howard's immense shadow.

"I love the organization, but I'm not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat said. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team."

Except that this season he just started a new five-year contract with the Magic. Only a trade can provide a bigger role on another team.

Perhaps Gortat's frustration should not come as a surprise. He was less than enthused when the Magic matched the Dallas Mavericks' offer of five years, $34-million this past summer for the restricted free agent from Poland. He likely would have been the Mavs' starting center.

Gortat said he isn't delivering a play-me-or-trade-me-ultimatum, realizing his role could change quickly.

He said he'll likely meet with coach Stan Van Gundy after the season to discuss his future and direct his agent, Guy Zucker, to talk with general manager Otis Smith.

"I really don't think about this now. But at some point, I want to have the chance to sit down with coach Van Gundy and tell him how I feel and where I want to go with my career," Gortat said. "I'm 100 percent sure coach will understand and will do the right thing for me and the team.

"My agent will talk to Otis. But it's too early to say anything."

REST OF THE ARTICLE.

Of course hes not.. they signed him to that huge contract yet are barely playing him. Seems like the Magic wasted money the way they are managing him. He could have been happy right now with Dallas and been starting but the Magic were selfish and decided to keep him making him unhappy still as he was last year

Of course hes not.. they signed him to that huge contract yet are barely playing him. Seems like the Magic wasted money the way they are managing him. He could have been happy right now with Dallas and been starting but the Magic were selfish and decided to keep him making him unhappy still as he was last year

I bet we end up trading him.

I can understand why he's upset. But he's a great backup center, it's a compliment that we are spending a lot on him just to play 15mpg, I'm glad we didn't just let him go. He is not playing as well as he was last year though. He's even said that he's physically and mentally tired from playing non stop from the finals to playing with the Polish team to now. I love having him on the team, I don't feel so uneasy when he comes in for Dwight. I see us keeping him the whole season unless he gets disgruntled (don't see that happening) or if a good trade is presented to us.

How does bosh make too much? He is a top player. Bargnani is the one who makes way too much. He is still on his rookie deal now I believe but goes up to 10 mill or a bit less next year I think.

I think Bosh is making close to 10 mil a year too, which is more than Gortats 5 mil, or else I'd love to do a Bosh trade. :(

We get him for 1 year towards are champ run, you guys get a good big man, would be ideal. Sigh...