Oden Likely Done For Season

• Owner

It doesn't matter. You can be the best player of all time, but if you're always injured, what does it matter? He's a bust. Period.

For some reason, I have a feeling you wouldn't be saying this about Dwyane Wade when he destroyed his shoulder a couple years back. In fact, it was Wade who has played 51 games twice in a season already, 61 in his rookie year...and that's in just six complete seasons.

I'm guessing Andrew Bynum is a bust as well, since he's been in and out of basketball for so long...even though he's giving the Lakers 19 points, 10 boards on 58% shooting and will more than likely be the starting center in the all-star game this year.

I really don't like making an example like this, but if Kevin Durant's life ended tomorrow (God forbid), is he a bust? Not even close to one.

Michael Olowokandi is a bust. Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Marcus Fizer, Robert Traylor, Rafael Araujo...busts. The selection itself is a bust if the player is injury-prone, severely injured or ill (such as Wagner and Williams), or killed...and even that is debatable, because GM's and owners are not God and have no control of a human life.

If Oden was made out of glass, that knee would've popped out on its own running up the court. If Bynum was made out of glass, his two knee injuries wouldn't have come from two teammates putting their foot under his on a rebound.

Injuries, death...those don't make you a bust, underachieving as a player does. It's your game that does the talking, not unfortunate incidents.

Meh, I disagree. Injuries can make you a bust. You're saying you can have a great game here and there, always battling injuries, and you won't be a bust? Just because you're performing the small amount of games you're actually playing? That's bogus.

You control how you play on the court. You can't control if someone injures you.

It doesn't [expletive]in matter. You either play or you don't.

And when you perform well when you DO play, you're not a bust. The PLAYER isn't a bust. The skills and abilities are still the same, he's just simply unable to play due to being injured by another player. Once again, something you can't control.

• Owner

Meh, I disagree. Injuries can make you a bust. You're saying you can have a great game here and there, always battling injuries, and you won't be a bust? Just because you're performing the small amount of games you're actually playing? That's bogus.

You didn't answer any of my questions.

If Wade landed on a fallen Haslem and snapped his leg, ending his career shortly...is he a bust? I mean...let's assumed that Miami just re-signed him for six years, $120 million or more, no trade clause, invested it all for him. Does that one career-ending injury make the player that gave the Miami Heat their only championship a bust? Six seasons and that's all she wrote?

This injury wasn't Oden's fault, not at all. Neither were Bynum's injuries. Oden has shown he can play very good basketball, contributing to an improving Blazers team. Bynum will be an all-star this year. Neither are busts...doesn't make sense.

Now, if John Wall comes in and plays 20 games a year, hurts every bone in his body and does it running up the court, no incidents with any surrounding players...you'd have a case, but I'd probably still argue against it if Wall's numbers exceeded expectations.

I do believe injuries can make you a bust. Staying healthy is somewhat a skill, and a neccessary trait for an NBA player. Stamina, durability, endurance, are all factors in how good a player can be. Players that died, thats another story, because thats not an injury, but also a player that suffers one career ending injury, thats somewhat of a fluke as well. If youve played a good portion of nba games and cant stay healthy, your a bust. Unfortunately its very hard to tell this in the draft, and to my knowledge Oden didnt have a history of injuries before coming into the NBA.

i dont really see him coming back from this. with all the injuries hes piled up (wrist, both knees) i think it might all just get to him, and he just wont develop properly. Best case senerio is he will get a job based on his size and how good he should have gotten, but will offer about 8pts and 8rbs. real shame, thought he would have panned out much better. Hope he proves me wrong.

• Owner

Man, really crazy...but Jessica (my girl) just brought up Shaun Livingston. She doesn't know a ton about basketball, but she remembers seeing that clip of him busting his knee, and she reminded me of "the Clippers player that did something similar."

With that in mind, I really, really hope this isn't going to be a similar situation.

Man, really crazy...but Jessica (my girl) just brought up Shaun Livingston. She doesn't know a ton about basketball, but she remembers seeing that clip of him busting his knee, and she reminded me of "the Clippers player that did something similar."

With that in mind, I really, really hope this isn't going to be a similar situation.

Your girl knows more about ball then you :lol:

haha jk man i keed i keed

• Owner

Your girl knows more about ball then you :lol:

haha jk man i keed i keed

Haha, she actually didn't know much of anything about the NBA at first. Now she can run through the entire Lakers roster, Cavs, and a few starting fives from other teams...and I'm working on some history with her, gotta create a fan from scratch sometimes. :lol:

I agree that a player can be considered a bust because of injury, especially younger players.

No matter which side of the fence you are on i think it is safe to say that we all agree the biggest part of determining if a player is a bust or not is their development in the NBA.

If a player is constantly injured then they cannot properly develop which in turn creates a bust.

And there are numerous things that can control the players development that are out of that players control, lets say... coaching staff not training the person properly. While we the fans may not hear of this being the problem for the player, if they did not reach expectations then many people would consider him a bust.

If Wade landed on a fallen Haslem and snapped his leg, ending his career shortly...is he a bust? I mean...let's assumed that Miami just re-signed him for six years, $120 million or more, no trade clause, invested it all for him. Does that one career-ending injury make the player that gave the Miami Heat their only championship a bust? Six seasons and that's all she wrote?

This is a terrible example you give because these are two completely different situations.

For one if he signed this extension that would mean we would have at least saw 6 years of him and his abilities unhindered in the NBA which as you mentioned got the Heat a title.

For two are you talking about a one time injury, not something reoccurring (being injured that is).

For three lets consider that he did come out of the injury a completely different man and starting playing worse then Marko Jaric. This would not be a bust (because of reason one), this would be a "should'a been" player AKA Grant Hill, a player who we saw reach franchise player level in the NBA then because of injury could no longer play like his former self.

Like it or not that one title Miami won would have been worth a number 1 draft pick.

This injury wasn't Oden's fault, not at all. Neither were Bynum's injuries. Oden has shown he can play very good basketball, contributing to an improving Blazers team. Bynum will be an all-star this year. Neither are busts...doesn't make sense.

So in order for a player to be considered a bust they must be one because of their own accord?

Oden was playing okay basketball on a team that has been improving with or without him.

Im not sure why you are comparing the game play of these two guys. When uninjured Oden puts up 11-8 and when uninjured Bynum puts up 20-10. These a huge difference in play there and while they are both bigs who have suffered injuries their play is nothing comparable.

Now, if John Wall comes in and plays 20 games a year, hurts every bone in his body and does it running up the court, no incidents with any surrounding players...you'd have a case, but I'd probably still argue against it if Wall's numbers exceeded expectations.

Has Oden EVER exceeded expectations?

11-8 average over 18 games in his third seasons... is that exceeding expectations? Is there any reason for us to think that he will really improve or even be healthy enough to improve?

I Dunno... i smell a bust bustier then big bust bust.

BTW, Kwame Brown put up 11 - 7.5 in his third season in the NBA, much like Oden.

See, i hate that people have made Oden out to be something he is not. This started before he even played his first NBA game. People would place him up with the great bigs of this era and consider him an all star and this BS has been going on since after first injury, before draft, after draft, after second injury, after surgery and after third injury. There is absolutely NOTHING this person has done in the NBA to warrant situational comparisons to Wade, Bynum or any other great player that has proven themselves in the NBA.

• Like 1