Best defender in the NBA?

8=======================D  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with most of you,

Perimeter: Shane Battier, although I want to give a shot out to my guy Bruce Bowen, he is one of the best at reach stepping, playing the game with his feet, and playing the mental aspect of the defensive game.

Post: Dwight Howard, he's got the best all around shot blocking skills in the league, and the ability to use them.

What about the sub catagories (I've seen some of you talking about them in this thread)? Although they can be tougher to really identify, we always talk about "who's the best shooter," or the best passer, dribbler, dunker but the defensive aspects don't get as much spot light. Who's got the quickest hands? Who can read the offense the best? Who's best at keeping his man in front of him? And so on...

Edited by Sheriff Shaq

http://www.nba.com/media/rmccants_400_080226.jpg

Okay so Rashad is a beast and kinda scary, but Michael Finley? Come on.

http://www.basketballjohn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/korver1.jpg

Still, he plays some amazing D.

• Owner

Shane Battier is the smartest defensive player in the NBA. His defensive IQ is off the charts because he knows everything about the player he's defending. He leads them into their cold zones and Houston's strongest help defense.

Problem is, if you pull Yao and Artest out of the game, Battier becomes more of a tree for the quicker two-guards, and they will leave him in the ground on their way to the rim.

Artest would be my selection a couple of years ago, but he's lost a step. Still one of the best defensive players in the NBA though, especially post defense against guards and small forwards.

If asked to lock the opposition down on the perimeter for a few minutes of a game, Kobe Bryant ranks up there.

Danny Granger plays very good defense. Tayshaun Prince would easily be the best defensive player in the league if he had more meat on him, and was a bit stronger...but even then, he's still a big threat on that end of the court.

Garnett isn't going to be the same as he was a couple of years ago. A lot of Boston's post defense also came from Perkins, which was mentioned a couple of times in this topic already.

Howard is an excellent shot-blocker, help defender. Not sure about his man-to-man defense, though...and it may not even be as good as Gortat's.

It's crazy, though...I didn't talk about guys like Hinrich, Kidd (who has lost a step or two but still does his thing), or even Iguodala.

Kirk Hinrich gets no respect for his defense. If you ask Dwyane Wade about Hinrich's defensive prowess, you'd probably come away surprised.

Battier is top notch, but I have to go for Tayshaun Prince. Yes, he's lacking strength. But he's tall, long, and fast. There are no easy baskets; Prince will make you earn them all.

Not to mention, he's the best in the history of the human race at guarding Kobe.