Jameer Nelson Getting Closer To Return

MainEv3nt

Magic point guard Jameer Nelson is making progress in his rehabilitation from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last month.

His workload is increasing each day, but coach Stan Van Gundy says that the earliest he could practice with his teammates will be this coming Sunday.

"I want to practice before then, but I've got to listen to the boss," Nelson said. "I'm going to push it as much as I can because I'm a competitor, but I'm not going to do anything stupid."

Nelson is averaging 13.7 points and 5.5 assists per game this season.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63387/20091214/jameer_nelson_getting_closer_to_return/

Better off without him.

He changes the dynamic of this team for the worse.

Let's just sit quietly and consider how ridiculous that statement is...

We've only played one game with Jameer and Rashard playing at the same time, since right when Rashard came back, Nelson went out. Yes, J-Will was a good replacement for a while, but he's 34 and he's running out of steam. So we've been playing Anthony Johnson more these last three games, who is 35, and is ok at times but you never know how he'll play. Jameer coming back is a very good thing.

We've only played one game with Jameer and Rashard playing at the same time, since right when Rashard came back, Nelson went out. Yes, J-Will was a good replacement for a while, but he's 34 and he's running out of steam. So we've been playing Anthony Johnson more these last three games, who is 35, and is ok at times but you never know how he'll play. Jameer coming back is a very good thing.

Yeah I agree, Williams has been good up to a point. You can tell he isn't really able to keep playing starter. We need Nelson back. Plus our team was off to a great start before he even got hurt, so I don't see how him in there hurts us.

Edited by bigdog17k

Let's just sit quietly and consider how ridiculous that statement is...

Okay. And now lets consider how much Nelson's presence changes this Orlando team.

What made it so this team made the finals last season? The mismatches they created because of running the ball through the 3-4-5 more so then having a control point, Alston only stepped up when absolutely needed.

With Nelson on this team they become a more traditional team with a PG who may put up good numbers, but has never really came through for them. Fact is there is nothing to suggest that this team will be better with him, last time Orlando had him in the play offs they did not reach the finals, without him they did and that is because the team dynamic changed.

Okay. And now lets consider how much Nelson's presence changes this Orlando team.

What made it so this team made the finals last season? The mismatches they created because of running the ball through the 3-4-5 more so then having a control point, Alston only stepped up when absolutely needed.

With Nelson on this team they become a more traditional team with a PG who may put up good numbers, but has never really came through for them. Fact is there is nothing to suggest that this team will be better with him, last time Orlando had him in the play offs they did not reach the finals, without him they did and that is because the team dynamic changed.

Jameer Nelson played 42 games last season in which the Magic went 32-10 by 'running through the 3-4-5' spots. A 76% winning record when Jameer played in the game is an impressive record. This year, they went 8 and 3 when Jameer played in a game. In last season's team, he was not a major focal point of the team and still scored 17 a game nearly. In this season's team, he has more duties, scores a bit less probably because of the pressure put forth upon him and the Magic are still winning a lot of games when Jameer is or isn't playing.

People seem to be under the impression that the Magic won because of some of these (imaginary) extraordinary mismatches we possessed. I'm not saying we didn't. Rashard was tremendous for us from the four, and Hedo brought some unique skills to the three position, however the Magic won games because we're a talented squad and that didn't change during the off-season; if anything, we're more talented. Jameer's presence does not make us worse in any way whatsoever. I don't even know where people get these assumptions from.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn
  • Like 2