McGrady Wants to Re-Sign With Houston

NJNJ

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2009/12/tracy-mcgrady-pistons-1209-200-150.jpg

DENVER -- Not only does Houston star Tracy McGrady not want to be dealt by the February trade deadline, his first choice is to return to the Rockets next season.

You read that right. Despite all the friction McGrady has had in the past year with the Rockets and despite the fact he will be a free agent next summer when many teams will have salary cap room, McGrady said he wants to re-sign with Houston.

"Yeah, if it all boils down to me making the decision, this (Houston) is where I'll be,'' McGrady said in an interview with FanHouse Wednesday night.

"I feel we can be a competitive team night in night out and compete with the best of them. ... This is a great fit for me. My family likes it in Houston, my wife and kids. And this is where I want to be.''

But what about money? McGrady is making $22.8 million this season and surely would have to take a huge pay cut to remain with the Rockets.

"Money is not an issue for me,'' the swingman said after going scoreless in a 111-101 loss to Denver at the Pepsi Center in his second game this season after missing the first 22 while coming off knee surgery. "If it boiled down to it, I got a great, great adidas contract. So money is not an issue. I just want to win. That's my main focus.

CONTINUE READING

He just wants the most money he can rake in. If he disappoints again this season, his FA value falls flat on its face, and few teams will want him for anything over the MLE.

From the interview it sounds like he's satisfied with the money he's already made, plus he's got enough on endorsements, anyway. I think he could be at a stage in his career where stats and dollars are put aside in his head, and he's brought in a more team oriented, winning mentality.

At least, I hope that's true for his sake and the Rockets.

Only and Only if he comes back cheap, anything more than the MLE is an automatic 'no' unless he proves he can be a superstar again. That said, its great to hear that he still loves playing here. Personally, I hope he does stay beyond 2010.