Doc Rivers: JV NBA Teams?

Celtics3420

I hope some day every team does have [their own minor league] team," said Rivers. "There would be a javyee game, literally, before our game. I think that would be terrific. You can play a guy, then dress him for that night, just like you did in high school, where you play for the jayvee and varsity. I think that would be good for our league. I think the fans would get a chance to see some of the guys you drafted.

Linkage

I think this would be interesting. I actually really like the idea even though it'd never happen. Thoughts?

Edited by Celtics3420

I think it would be great if every team had their own D-League affiliate though. Maybe every few home games for a D-League team could be in the parent team's arena. It would create a place for players who aren't good enough or aren't experienced enough to stay on the main roster to play, without having that player be buried from the conscious of the parent team's fan base.

Who really wants to watch guys like Coby Carl or Adam Morrison play? That's basically what the D-League is for.

He's talking about each team having their own D-League team. And also read what Erik said about every few home games have the D-League team play on the parent team's court. It'd give the fans a chance to see the team's youth(especially for winning teams).

So, yeah, a developmental league...

Maybe they can play on a 9'5" rim? That would piss off Paul Pierce, though.

I don't see where that 2nd part was necessary.....

He's talking about each team having their own D-League team. And also read what Erik said about every few home games have the D-League team play on the parent team's court. It'd give the fans a chance to see the team's youth(especially for winning teams).

I don't see where that 2nd part was necessary.....

lol why so up tight?

The team's youth that will be a factors to the team will probably already be on the team. D-Leaguers usually stay in the D-League, and when they get out and get signed, they're usually on ten day contacts. There will always be a few guys like Chris Anderson that are successful after the D-League, but for the most part they aren't.

I think what Latavious Williams did was interesting. Williams was a Memphis signee, but due to academic issues and financial issues with his family he decided to test China. For whatever reason he never went to China and instead he entered the D-League draft and was the No. 16 pick. I think if more high school players did that this idea would be more appealing because they are players who have talent and may have an impact someday but they are still too raw.

I think the d-league is fine. Not many teams have enough competent talent to field their own d-league team. Plus that is a lot of players to be under contract (d-league players get paid right?). I think it is good how it is that if you want your own d-league team you can but you can also just send your guys down to play for w/e team.

But at the same time having your own is good because you can have complete control over how it is run and who is getting the minutes and what not.