The Flawed AAU System

Jckund

As someone who played AAU ball for 2 years, I can say that this article is fairly accurate.

Almost all of the drills for the teams I played on (as well as a couple of my friends teams) were offensive oriented. Defenses consisted of mostly man to man and some teams had a lackluster zone. On offense, rather than emphasizing the whole team, options are limited to a couple players at the most. Often those offensive sets consist of one or two players dribbling for 15 seconds and hucking up a contested shot.

AAU is great if you want to learn how to be an offensive superstar, but useless if you want to be a defensive player and a good teammate.

• Like 1

As someone who played AAU ball for 2 years, I can say that this article is fairly accurate.

Almost all of the drills for the teams I played on (as well as a couple of my friends teams) were offensive oriented. Defenses consisted of mostly man to man and some teams had a lackluster zone. On offense, rather than emphasizing the whole team, options are limited to a couple players at the most. Often those offensive sets consist of one or two players dribbling for 15 seconds and hucking up a contested shot.

AAU is great if you want to learn how to be an offensive superstar, but useless if you want to be a defensive player and a good teammate.

I didnt read the article yet but I played AAU for 3 years and that is absolutely true. Very well said.