Everyone delivers on Christmas

NJNJ

Santa and the NBA will both bring the goods on Christmas Day. A closer than usual playoff race still offers plenty of intrigue at this late date, as well. As many as 12 teams in the Eastern Conference can still claim to be legitimately in the playoff chase, while all but a couple of teams in the Western Conference cane make the same claim.

The fat man in the red suit isn't the only person delivering this Christmas.

The NBA is coming through with a five-game slate worthy of interrupting any holiday celebration.

Wherever you are spending the big day, I'd suggest you make sure there is a 40-plus inch plasma screen within shouting distance. I'd hate for you to miss any of the fireworks that could be in store in marquee games like the Celtics-Magic and Cavaliers-Lakers. And you can top the night off with a Nuggets-Blazers game that's sure to entertain.

Usually, there is a bad news component to the Christmas Day scenario.

In years past Christmas also signaled the end of the road for playoff dreams for so many teams.

I don't know when you last peaked at the standings, but there are as many as 12 teams in the Eastern Conference still legitimately in the playoff mix. There are 14, including Hang Time's recently adopted Memphis Grizzlies, that can make the same claim in the Western Confernce (though it'll be a bit tougher to climb that playoff mountain out west).

Any way you slice it, that's good basketball. And good basketball is what we need.