Demar DeRozan Thus Far

PPG: 7.7

RPG: 3.2

APG: 0.7

SPG: 0.6

FG%: .439

3P%: .333

FT%: .782

Per 36 adjusted his stat line is 13.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 1.2 APG and 1.0 SPG.

Overall what are your thoughts on Demar so far? Has he met your expectations? Exceeded? Less than expected?

For me I think Demar has been better than I could have asked for or expected, I really expected him to be raw and make a lot of bad decisions when he had the ball. Instead he has been really composed when he gets the ball, typically doesn't force too many shots and just really seems to play within himself. His jumper is shaky but not as bad as many people said before the season, I think his FT% is a good indicator of this shooting nearly 80% already after only like 65% in college. Though his 3 point shot is still very bad, he has a pretty okay shot off the dribble.

Like any rooke he has been inconsistent, he went through a stretch of averaging 14 a game over 5 games 3 of which were wins. But then he went through a stretch recently of 2-2-4-4 point games which 3 of those games were losses. I think when Demar is aggressive early on he is much better, if he isn't he gets yanked by Jay. Even when Demar has 8 in the first quarter he still gets yanked which is very frustrating.

What I fail to understand is that with Jose out and Jack playing strictly PG that should open up around 20-25 minutes at the SG slot, but Demar is still stuck at his typical 20-22 minutes a game? Instead of increasing Demar's minutes he is giving the minutes to Sonny Weems and Marco when Demar is the guy we are supposed to be developing, and usually is the better of the three players anyways.

I think what could wind up holding Demar back is Jay, with Jose out Demar's responsibilities and minutes should be increasing, but instead Sonny Weems is the one getting minutes with Antoine being benched (thank goodness). By the end of the year I would like to see Demar have some 30 minute games, but he has only done that once this year and it was exactly 30 minutes. I would like to see Demar get some more run with the bench players because that way he can get more touches. I really have liked seeing Jack-Sonny-Demar-Amir out there together, they get out and run and actually cause turnovers.

Anyways, post what you have thought of Demar thus far.

I agree completely that DeMar needs to have an increased amount of minutes now with Jose out. Thus should increase Hedo's numbers as well and just let Hedo handle the ball and either DeMar or Sonny guard the 1 spot. However, the fact that Jay has realized that Sonny is much more productive than Wright is a step in the right direction. I wish DeMar could get more minutes, but let's remember Sonny is young as well and could develop into a very nice player down the road. The key for both is the ability to attack the basket and these two, unlike Jamario Moon, seem to want to keep attacking the net because they understand it is easy points.

When I see Amir, Sonny and DeRozan on the court at the same time I get excited, because I know maybe right now the offensive talent isn't there, but the effort that needs to be given night and night out is. I remember when I went to the game against Atlanta and the only 3 people that impressed me were those 3, granted mostly Sonny and Amir because DeMar didn't play a lot.

The thing with the regular NBA fan is they will see his numbers, which aren't bad, but they don't understand that he is usually 4th or 5th option, all the time. He is excellent, yes I think excellent is the proper word, at getting to the line and his percentage is pretty good, though I did expect it to be lower, so that is nice surprise. DeMar has come into an awkward situation to say the least; the star player is in the last year of a contract and the team needs to win, they just paid a lot of money to the 5 and 3 spots and have a lot of money at the 1 spot between two guys. Also, the kid has to guard the other teams best wing player most of the time and if he gets beat, it's usually a basket because of the D behind him.

In short the kid has been better than expected and I'm happy he has started all the games showing Jay does understand somewhat how to develop him, but kind of loses that when he benches him for stretches. He hasn't been hurt yet (knock on wood) so that's a positive. Obviously you want a big splash from a lottery rookie, but not everyone can be LeBron and DeMar has been most than expected early in his career.

Edited by BasX

The thing I love about Demar is you can get on him, and he won't get shook by mistakes. He is a player that will be easier and quicker to develop than Bargnani because he isn't a little girl who needs to be babied. Add to that he WANTS to learn and WANTS to become a good player I think we have a keeper on our hands.

I just hope he can develop his handle and jump shot so he is able to one day break his man down one on one off the dribble. I think he is gonna be a good defender and he is already a good rebounder at the 2 or 3.