Who is the greatest Laker of all time?

The Regime

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Haha, I'm not pre-designing anything to favor Bryant. I'm simply considering all things, while you are talking just rings. Bryant is the better overall player, he had less to work with from 2004-2008, he's crushing Lakers scoring records (both games, season and career, in due time), and while Magic and the Lakers visited the Finals nine times, Kobe and LA have been there six so far, in a Western Conference that I believe is stronger than it was 20+ years ago.

It's the rings that favor Magic. THAT would be pre-designed to favor one player. That would be like me saying Kevin Garnett is greater than Karl Malone. If you believe that to be true, I guess we're done discussing the topic.

The topic is greatest Laker it is not greatest overall Laker player. The greatest Laker is the Laker player that led the team to the most rings. That's not pre-designing anything to favor a player it's why the game is played. There is no greater contribution to a franchise than leading a team to winning rings. If you disagree with that then we go out separate ways Real. That is a team sport and winning rings is the purpose and essence of the sport.

Best overall Laker player: Kobe Bryant

Greatest Laker: Magic Johnson

You want to equate the two, to you greatest overall player is greatest Laker. To me the leader with most rings has contributed most to the franchise and like it or not that is not Kobe Bryant. I'm a little surprised you think my definition is contrived for Magic, it's not. As an industrial strength team first fan that is sincerely how I see the game. Basketball is played to determine a team champion.

Today's west is stronger than in Magic's day, the 2000s east (until Boston got KG) is weaker at the top and in depth. Showtime was loaded, but so were their finals opponents. Threepeat was weaker but so were their finals opponents. Iverson Sixers, the no D Pacers, the one dimensional Nets. Orlando without their point guard. Those teams wouldn't get out of the east in Magic's day. Showtime had easier western opponents but far tougher finals opponents. We can go round and round on this forever. Magic five, Kobe four. Rings matter most.

Edited by Sky

Eddie Jones is my favorite all-time Laker since I learned defence by watching him, but as far as achievements and all that other stuff go I'll go with Magic Johnson. He created the way I know the Lakers by, glamorous and flashy.